Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a tickle way down where I think my diaphragm is which…

I have a tickle...

I have a tickle way down where I think my diaphragm is which leads eventually to a cough...can't get rid of it. I also get post nasal drip, so maybe there is a connection there.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

About a month now just post nasal drip, tickle in throat and lower to the diaphragm and cough

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had bronchospasms in the past

3/19/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you? Male/ Female?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you consult doctor or have any test?
Did you take any medicine?

51 Female
just the symptoms I typed already
just bronchospasms in the past, I also do have allergies at times
Doctor said my lungs and chest sound clear
currently trying guaifenesin for this
when I used to get the bronchospasms, I would take albuterol, which I still carry just in case, but this current situation seemed to start with post nasal drip, so not sure if there is a connection to the brochspasms
r u there?

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
There can be due to a few causes.
It can be due to an allergy.
Other probables are an infection in the nose or sinuses.
Variation of temperature, vasomotor rhinitis, reflux etc. can cause it too.
Reflux can cause sensation near diaphragm.
Structural abnormality of the nose like deviated septum, polyp are also probable.
I would advise to get it checked by doctor, preferably by an ENT.
If necessary doctor can run tests to find out the precise cause.
You can try allergy medicines like zyrtec, claritin,
Zantac or Nexium can be taken too/
You can keep a humidifier on while sleeping.
You can keep the head end of bed a little raised.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Wouldn't reflux have other symptoms too?
Is there any concern about the bronchospasms since the tickle is so low?
If it is infection in nose or sinues, or even polyp, would there be other symptoms? and what would be the treatment?

There can be silent reflux.
Acid can trickle down into larynx during sleep at night.
Bronchospasm would cause wheeze, breathing difficulty.
A chronic infection of nose or sinuses may produce little other symptom.
Antibiotic can be needed in that case,
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Sometimes when the tickle comes, it does feel a little hard to breathe down there...still no worries about bronchospasm?

Mild bronchospam can occur when the secretion or acid goes in.
Mild cases are not worrying.
You can keep an humidifier on at night.

ok, one more question, how can silent reflux be diagnosed?

Endoscopy, 24 hour pH monitoring can be taken.

ok, thank u
could it also be asthma?

Asthma would cause tightness in chest with breathing difficulty.
Spirometry can be used to find it.

Sometimes I feel a tightness in my abdomen area...maybe where the diaphragm is, but not sure

Diaphragmatic contraction would not occur in asthma.
Still an examination of chest may detect whether there is a problem in lower lungs.

ok, what kind of examination? just listening with the stethoscope?

Yes. Just listening with stetho & spirometry.

Does Just Answer also have psychologists on staff to address any anxiety parts of my problems?

There is a psychiatry section.

You can post question there.

I can't seem to find it. Can you please point me in the right direction on the website?

There are different categories in this website.

This question is in Medical category.

Within Medical category there is a subdivision for Psychiatry.

You open any new question in that category.

Ok, thank you very much.
Hi, I am still having constant tickle all day in throat down to the mid-sternum, that eventually triggers deep, empty, huffing cough. Since my peak meter readings always seem to be normal, can I most likely rule out asthma?

It is unlikely from asthma.

thank you