Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it normal to be in a state of panic and extreme pain

Is it normal to...

Is it normal to be in a state of panic and extreme pain following a seizure?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It’s a friend of mine, he had the seizure at a hospital around 2am and was discharged at 7am this morning and he’s says everything hurts

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He missed doses of his anti epilepsy medication but they gave him a large dose and he took it again this morning

3/19/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

how long after a seizure?

About 18 hours

I wouldn't state panic is normal

but pain is

especially for a grand mal seizure

Ok what can I do to make him comfortable? Ibuprofen isn’t helping

what other meds is he on?

Amoxicillin I think that’s it

Ok. No seizure meds?

cepra? They gave him a dose in the hospital and he took again when he got home

Ok good

I would try something like benadryl just to help with sleep

there is not much else you can do

the muscle pain is from the stiffening of the body with the seizure

My one concern is that he might be developed rhabomylosis

this is a syndrome of massive muscle breakdown from a seizure

it can actually be fatal

He probably honestly needs to go back to ER

Ok
Thank yoh

you're welcome :)

let me know how it goes

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor