Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had 28 teeth removed this last Wednesday. I have

experienced a significant growth in...
I had 28 teeth removed this last Wednesday. I have experienced a significant growth in pain, and am afraid I have an infection. I’ve got canker-looking sores around the gums but also on the extraction sites themselves. The pain is excruciating and the ER doctor said nothing, but gave numbing mouth wash and a few pain killers.... both are not making even the smallest dent in my pain. Please, please help. I have an appointment tomorrow for post op visit but if there is anything I can do now please tell me. If I had my way my choice would be main control in the ER. The pain lessened with Toridol (spell check, sorry). What do I do? Go one more night and sprint into the office? Also, what could someone even do in this situation but wait?
3/19/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I am sorry for your pain. Please some images of the oral cavity showing the sore, taken with and without a flash and I will get back to you ASAP. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

First picture
2nd picture
3rd photo
4th photo is the same area as 2nd photo.
5th.
I have small clusters or blisters by my lips now too

Hi...This looks like a deep ulcers.

You can use Kenacort or Zytee gel for application on the ulcerated areas.

These have to be applied on the areas 15 minutes before food.

But I do not see any lip ulcers here please.

The other option is using Tramadol for immediate pain relief.

Please get back with lesions on lips which are ulcerated.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

This photo does not show how large they really are but they are in clusters and large/bubbly like
I went to the local emergency room but they didn’t do much. They gave me a shot of toridol and it helped tremendously but wore of shortly after getting it

Hi...the lip lesions look like Herpes please. I am sorry to say this.

You need to use Acyclovir ointment for external application on the lip lesions.

There are 2 options for pain -

1. Tab Ibuprofen 400mg 6th hourly - round the clock till next appointment tomorrow. This is OTC.

2. Injection or Capsule Tramadol 50mg 6th hourly - this is a prescription medicine.

Regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Herpes like a sexually transmitted disease? I’ve not had any encounter with someone with herpes. Please elaborate

Hi...NO please. This type of Herpes is not a sexually transmitted disease at all.

This is a contact acquired disease. But the pain can be really excruciating.

It can spread by fomites or the objects which were in contact with Herpes patient also.

The pain you are experiencing might be referred pan also.

I feel that you may get benefited with a course of oral Acyclovir too.

Ok, and to get that medication should I wait to see my dentist tomorrow, or go to emergency room now? I am in a gross amount of pain, Doctor. I am desperate for some form of relief

Hi...this pain is an emergency situation and in ER they will definitely start on Acyclovir and also Gabapentin for this pain please.

Please go to the emergency room.

Is it okay even though i already went today and was sent home? I am desperate enough to go again but just want to clarify that it’s okay to go again
I am headed to the ER is there anything you would be able to tell me to help inform the ER doctor about what’s happening?
Hi... You can tell them that you have the suspicion of herpetic lesions and the pain is unbearable and that you need tramadol Injection or capsules to be prescribed.
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Thank you