Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had arm muscle weakness that comes and goes for three…

I have had arm...

I have had arm muscle weakness that comes and goes for three weeks. Last week I had full body twitches. And today my hand feels like it’s having a hard time gripping and like it wants to cramp up. I’ve been having terrible panic attacks and can’t eat, having diarrhea every time I do eat. I also have full pain in my upper arm and shoulder blade. Does this sound like als?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I’m a 33 yo female Sometimes it’s worse after a night of sleep. Sometimes it’s worse after a panic attack.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had an adjustment on my thoracic outlet by my chiropractor the other day and it helped. But the weird weakness and pain is back now. I have terrible health anxiety as I have three children 3 and under

3/19/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Are the symptoms present on both hands?
Do you take any medication?

More so on my right hand but a little on my left as of today. I was on lexapro and xanax last week but got off it bc I found out I’m pregnant again. I feel like I’m constantly running on adrenaline.

I see you're under a lot of stress?
When did you find out about the pregnancy and how old are you?
I understand you have a family history of als?

I’m 33. No family history of als.
I had a normal brain mri and normal bloodwork.

When did you find out about the pregnancy and how many weeks of pregnancy you have?

I’m 5 weeks. Found out on Friday. I’ve been having panic attacks for the last 3 weeks though. Muscle weakness first showed up 2 weeks ago, went away for a week or so, and came back today. Muscle twitches were all last week. All over my body.
The arm weakness was the worst after a deep tissue massage

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Dear friend, I understand your situation, but you should not be alarmed in this case are symptoms of anxiety and stress, which generate a nervous breakdown and alter the nervous conduction of the whole body, may be affected in the arms as these are the most active during the day.
Unfortunately, with pregnancy, it is not possible to perform some studies that would be useful to verify the cervical spine, such as MRi.
but you can do a lower limb electromyography to confirm that the nerve conduction is preserved.
But in your case avoid massage, and I suggest a protocol of rehabilitation of the cervical spine and upper limbs to improve the symptoms.
You should lower the level of stress with rest and outdoor activities, as the emabarazo also generates stress.
But I rule out any pathology like ALS.
It all causes anxiety and stress.

Do you have any doubt?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Thank you. That’s very helpful for my anxiety. I am absolutely terrified of something happening where I won’t be able to raise my children. Can panic attacks cause some of these arm sensations? I notice the twitching goes away when I’m not thinking about it or not nervous.

Absolutely, anxiety attacks can generate these and many other symptoms, so it is important that you try to control them right now when you are pregnant.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Thank you so much

its has been a pleasure.

take care.