Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently tested positive for amphedamines ,up until now I…

I recently tested positive...

I recently tested positive for amphedamines ,up until now I didn't know what this was . I am in a outpatient clinic from my own choice to stray clean . I go every two month and can get drug tested then and anytime they wish , I pay $350.00 per visit .I'm on suboxen , cloxapham , Paxil , Wellbutrin , and to asleep ambien and remeron , and blood pressure Meds , lisinopril . I go here because I had 35 kidney stones and was addicted to pain Meds . After reading about all this medicine they have many cases test positive for amphedamines . I do take over the counter medicine for sinus , Benadryl , by quil , for arthritis in back some pain relievers Motrin,alleve or Advil . I feel like I'm having to prove my case to the clinic and my dad who is my boss . I'm going to a sleep study next week or so to get me sleeping even with Meds I don't sleep but 2-3 hours . My dad is going with me on next visit so the dr can explain the program and Meds , and help me get off some of this if not all. I'm starting to do a little myself already . I amagine the suboxen will be the hardest . How can this be , I mean test positive for amphedamines . Which ones have it prescribed I listed and what over the counter Meds do . I feel like I'm having to prove myself . I'm a male 51 years old .

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Yes , they not only did a urine test, but swab, hair , also . It is to get a pass to drive in a plant . I'm in outside sales

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Arthritis in back I took Meds for a few months ago , and I had 80 % bacteria they gave Meds for a few month ago due to mold in my office

3/19/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you

I am sorry you tested for amphetamines

some cold and flu medications can cause false positive for amphetamines

antihistamines and decongestants like

Brompheniramine and Phenylpropanolamine and nasal sprays can cause false positive for meth.

Antidepressants like bupropino and trazodone can as well

antipsychotic mediations can cause positive

stomach acid reducing medicaitons like Zantac and ranitidine can cause false positive.

I included a medical article which talks about this

any screening tests which show positive will have to be confirmed with a MS/GC confirmatory test

if you didn't use meth, your confirmatory test should be negative

let me know if you have questions.

The test was done at lab Corp in Baton Rouge , a 10 panel test . And no I've never done or been around meth . What should I tell the Dr who is another state , I'm sure he has heard this story a 110 times . He wants all my prescriptions for the last 6-8 months , which I have no problem giving him , I have nothing to hide , just feel like a lawyer pleading my case . I would not be in a voluntarlry program if I was not trying to better myself and stay accountable . But I do need a negative test report to get into some plants , even though I'm not working just selling . Which I understand . I just don't know what medicine made me be positive , I would concentrate on that one first .
I'm looking for documentation supporting me .

there are medications I mentioned above which can cause false positive for amphetamines

you can show them that article I mentioned.

any positive test for screening has to be confirmed with a MS/GC confirmatory test

if you don't use amphetamines, your confirmatory test will be negative.

buproprion is wellbutrin. that is mentioned in the article

which you take which can cause false positives for amphetamines. .

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Second opinion from another Doctor if they can give me supporting documentation , just need to move on from this night mare , when I did nothing wrong and have stayed the course the Dr supplied for me

this article could help you.