Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How would you treat balanitis that originated from me not…

How would you treat balanitis...
How would you treat balanitis that originated from me not cleaning under the foreskin for a couple of days and had my glans covered with coconut oil. This combination of oil and poor unhygiene led to a red patch of skin. Ever since then I have been to the doctor and they ran a swab rest, revealing 0 bacteria or fungus. However I am still left with red and wrinkled skin. What are my options?
3/19/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

can you upload a clear photo of the area?

do you see the "Add file" link?

you should be washing your penis and foreskin with soap and least once a day

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Attached photos. Dryness and redness blotches of skin.2nd photo. Deep wrinkles on left hand side of glans that have never been there before.

the skin is normal

those wrinkles are normal

there is no balantitis

you need to wash once a day with a moisturizing soap like Dove

and wash under your foreskin

no more oils or coconut oils or anything like that.

keep the foreskin where it should be

stop your penis head will be fine

stop examining your penis head all the time. exposing the head to air and dry air can cause dry skin.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay Dr David, this problem wouldn’t bother me apart from after sex/masturbation the foreskin swells up, and my glans become extremely irritated for days. Do you think that I should just avoid masturbation for a while and hope it fixes itself? Obviously the skin is irritated so I’ve stopped putting friction on if

avoid masturbation

keep cleaning your skin with Dove soap

no body washes or drying soap

no drying antibacterial soaps.

avoid sex and masturbation for 2 weeks to allow the foreskin to heal.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will rate you 5 stars after this Q. What do you make of the swelling post ‘use’? Obviously there is some kind of infection? Or do you think it’s just generally irritated and needs time to settle? How do I know it won’t come back after 2 weeks of no use.

no there is no infection

masturbation and friction can cause the foreskin to swell up

using water based lubricant can help decrease friction and decrease swelling

washing with soap and water post masturbation can help decrease irritation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Then why am I allowing the foreskin to heal? Heal from what

from irritation from your masturbation.

prior inflammation from not cleaning your foreskin.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but why hasn’t the inflammation/irritation resolved as these issues started four months ago? And I have kept it very clean and dry since the problem began.

frequent masturbation could still be irritating the skin

you may need to better wash with soap and water after masturbation to help clean the area

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My frenulum area is swollen at the moment from frenulum breve, could that be irritating the whole glans possibly?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you think the skin is now permanently altered to be more sensitive?

no, the skin would not be permanently altered

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your lying
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My skin is f**ked

I am not lying

it sounds like you have a lot of bad anxiety symptoms over this

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

skin can heal after burns and trauma and injury.

you had a bit of dry skin and use coconut oil

your skin is not permanently altered.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician