Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I accidentally got a small amount of Tide laundry detergent…

I accidentally got a small...
I accidentally got a small amount of Tide laundry detergent in an open wound. Will I get poisoned from it entering my bloodstream?
3/18/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Did you flush the wound right away?

No. It just stayed more or less untouched for hours. I did wipe hours later with a tiny tiny bit of moist cloth, not enough to do anything.

Still nothing at all to worry about

At most it might irritate the wound but it wouldn't cause any kind of infection and it certainly couldn't get into your blood stream to poison you

So no harm done here

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks....but I have read of sports athletes contracting leukemia from artificial turf particles entering open wounds. I am concerned that allowing a chemical like Tide detergent to enter the wound would have a similar effect.....what if it did enter the bloodstream initially?

That report for the athletes is from chronic contact with the artificial turf and not from a one time exposure like yours

It couldn't possibly enter your blood stream

You really are getting overly worried about nothing at all

Thanks - now, what if, instead of direct entry into bloodstream, it were a matter of laundry detergent getting onto skin and staying there a prolonged period of time and being absorbed into the body?
can you please reply to my follow up question?
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

no, it would not be absorbed through your skin into your body

your skin is a natural barrier and can keep soap and detergent out of your body

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
I got some Tide detergent onto my foot. Less than an hour later, I was feeling suddenly nauseaus. Might these two things be related?
No, those would not be related