Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a pimply itchy rash on my scalp back of neck and

Customer Question
I have a pimply...

I have a pimply itchy rash on my scalp back of neck and upper back/shoulder area. Also, my lymph nodes on both sides of my head behind my ears are painful and swollen.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

It started as swollen glands last week, but the rash started yesterday.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have rheumatoid arthritis and sjogren's syndrome

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/18/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

it sounds like you have a scalp infection or irritation

the most common scalp infection is seborrheic dermatitis which is like a mild scalp skin infection

which can cause dandruff and itching.

medication shampoos like selsin blue and head and shoulders shampoo can help with seborrheic dermatitis

do you have a doctor you can see who can check your scalp?

how old are you?

how large are these lymph nodes?

I do have a doctor. I'm making an appointment in the morning. I'm 52, and the lymph nodes are about the size of a golf ball. I itching rash is also on my upper back and shoulders and at the nape of the neck. is that also dermatitis?

it sounds like dermatitis, contract dermatitis or allergic dermatitis or folliculitis infection of the hair follicles or seborrheic dermatitis.

I can't see your scalp.