Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am getting a very sharp pain in my stomach after I swallow…

Customer Question
I am getting a...

I am getting a very sharp pain in my stomach after I swallow food. It subsides in 10-15 seconds if I stop eating but continues for each bite-at a lesser level- if I continue to eat

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

It’s been a few weeks but getting worse. There is intermittent nausea no vomiting

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

A few back surgeries. Diverticulitis surgery 20 years ago. Smoke 1/2 pack of cigarettes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/18/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you? Male/ Female?

Does it occur with every type of food?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you consult doctor or have any test?
Did you take any medicine?

I am a 58 year old female. No other symptoms. I’ve tried Tums occasionally because I have very occasional sour stomach. I have no past illnesses of this nature. I am planning to make an appointment with my gp tomorrow but it will take time to get in. I just started taking Contrave in a weight loss program

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.

I am also sorry for the delay in answering.

I went offline when you replied.
The pain after taking food can come from a few conditions.
There can be gastritis, ulcer, reflux.
Pancreatitis or gall bladder disorders can be there.
Sometimes it can be a symptom of abdominal angina.
Delayed emptying from an obstruction or paresis, esophageal spasm, esophagitis can cause pain.
You can take Zantac or Nexium.
Liquid antacid can be taken too.
Doctor can take a few tests like ultrasound, blood work, endoscopy etc.
Please take bland diet.
Avoid spicy food.
Avoid tea, coffee, smoking, alcohol, if you take any.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.