Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 22 year old nephew started Cymbalta for nerve pain and…

My 22 year old...

My 22 year old nephew started Cymbalta for nerve pain and anxiety. He went up to 60 mg daily, then began experiencing muscle weakness, spasms, tightness, extreme weight loss, and body pain everywhere. They have taken him off the Cymbalta now, but he is still in so much pain. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Would some underlying undiagnosed medical condition have caused this reaction? He has Lyme Disease, but no other diagnosed condition. Looking for help. He feels like he's dying.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

He has been dealing with this for the past couple of months when they upped his dose of Cymbalta. He lost 12 pounds in 2 months and can't stop "adjusting" his body to try to get comfortable.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He uses medical marijuana at night time to help him sleep. He was on Tegretol for a while too, while he was on the Cymbalta, but now he is off everything except the marijuana at night and 5mg valium to help relax his body during the day. He can't do anything at this point because his body is so weak.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

It is a known side effect of cymbalta

he probably just had a bad reaction to the medicine

How long after stopping the medication should he feel free of these side effects?

within a week

Any other suggestions for easing his anxiety/pain while he is going thru this torture with his body?

when did he stop the med?

one week ago. He feels no better.

Ok. Then it is probably something else

does he have fibromyalgia?

No. He had multiple sports injuries from soccer in the past and some mild anxiety, but nothing else that we know of. He has Bells Palsy in the past and Lyme disease, but other than that, no medical problems that we know of. I'm a nurse and racking my brain as to why this kid is having this horrible reaction and looks anorexic at this point and his body is giving out on him.

I think he needs tested for autoimmune disorders and fibromyalgia

Okay. Good suggestions. Thank you. I feel strongly that there is some underlying thing here that hasn't been diagnosed that is causing this to happen to him. I'll suggest that to his parents/PCP. Thank you.

Welcome :)

I hope this helped

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor