Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is is possible to catch herpes if a person is in remission?

Which is the best type...
Is is possible to catch herpes if a person is in remission? Which is the best type of doctor to see about herpes and all std’s?
3/18/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, although we would use different terms than being in remission. When someone has herpes, the virus will lie dormant most of the time, but then will periodically grow. On the days that it periodically grows, the virus can be shed and can be transmitted. But on the days when the virus is dormant, which is most days, the virus cannot be spread.

On the days when the virus is growing, it can cause the typical sores of a herpes infection, but it may not. There are some days on which the virus is growing and there are no sores or other symptoms, called asymptomatic shedding. Since there are no symptoms, the individual does not know that they are shedding the virus. Since people with herpes typically avoid sex on the days on which there are symptoms, it is the days with asymptomatic shedding that the virus is transmitted.

Although we cannot know how often an individual is having asymptomatic shedding, there are studies that identify the risk of asymptomatic shedding. In studies looking at couples in which only one person is infected with genital herpes, and they are regularly sexually active while avoiding sex on days on which there are symptoms, there is about a 5% risk that the uninfected partner will become infected over the course of a year. This 5% risk reflects the risk of asymptomatic shedding.

Your primary care physician would be appropriate for herpes infections and other STDs. In many communities, there are STD clinics, if you do not have a primary care physician.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor