Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been diagnosed with cerebral small vessel disease. CT…

I have been diagnosed...

I have been diagnosed with cerebral small vessel disease. CT with contrast showed that all my vessels were neither dilated or constricted, but of course they can't see the small vessels. The MS specialist says that if he were to lean one way or the other, he would lean toward MS based on symptoms and some lesions that look like MS lesions, but since I don't have something in my spinal fluid that 90% of MS patients have, he is unwilling to diagnose me. I have multiple tiny lesions on MRI, and a few of them look like MS lesions, but it could be all ischemic, it could be MS, or it could be both. I have tried to read up on this disease, but I can't find my symptoms listed. My symptoms are constant rotating sensations with tingling and pressure-at first I described it as numb, but my skin has sensation, myotonic jerking, days when I feel "stoned", and my muscles lose all energy if I walk fast, go up an incline or stairs, or if I get hot. I want to hear about others with cerebral small vessel disease that have these symptoms. I want to see articles. Are there support groups?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Did you read my question?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't have a skin issue. It is a neurological issue. I had multiple blood tests done, and they were all perfect except a mildly high LDL and an high triglyceride.

3/18/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

what meds do you take?

how old are you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m 61
I take Lyrica 100mg bid for the jerking
Buspar 10 mg. Bid because my brain panicked easily after the incident.
I was at work. I’m an RN. I worked in endoscopy and we were not given transporters. I was picking up my patient when my right arm started tingling. The a harsh tingle grabbed my arm, leg, neck and head in rapid succession. My right arm and leg were clumsy. I did not show strike. I was diagnosed with TIA and discharged 2 days later. I slept a lot. When I tried to work I felt like I was on a foreign planet and I had been manager. Over the next two weeks other symptoms began occurring. The jerking, the various strange sensations, unable to concentrate or read for information, anxiety attacks, legs going weak.
My brain is not near as panicky now. The jerking is mild on Lyrica. But the sensations and feeling clumsy are daily.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m just wanting to know if my symptoms are like other people who are diagnosed with cerebral small vessel disease. From what I’ve been able to read I am different.

No this is not the same at all

could it be a med side effect?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. The symptoms occurred prior to any meds. I never took any prescription drug regularly before. I started on Nexium in December 2016
The neurological incident happened July 11 at 1200. I have always taken natural supplement but I stopped all of them the day it happened so there would be no confudion on what was causing what. I started them up again about 2 months later. They are benign.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
July 11 2017

I have to sign off for a bit

I will get back to you later

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you

It could be the result of a single stroke that wasn't particularly seen on the scan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have thought that maybe could be it. Do strike patients lose energy in their legs if they walk quickly or go up an incline. I have to walk slowly always or the energy leaves my legs and I have to sit down. I jerk a bit after exercise. That was worse early on

Yes, they can

This can happen. Yes.

Just make sure they rule out a lung or cardiac problem due causing this decreased exercise tolerance

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My cardiologist says I have no cardiac risk factors. I could climb a mountain if my legs would do it! My lung x-ray was fine.
Thank you

excellent!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor