Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had surgerie on a pinky finger about 15 years ago i cut…

Customer Question
I had surgerie on...

I had surgerie on a pinky finger about 15 years ago i cut some tendons and ligaments and now that finger is causing me a lot of pain that has extende to my other fingers. The pain is like when you heat your fingers wth a hammer. I can't even braise it becuase it's painful. My nail grows broken in half.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

For about 3 years it was mild but now it's becoming unbaerable. A small breeze a soft graze.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've had diabetis for 2 years now and had PCOS for 25 years.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please see photos.
3/18/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this for you. Actually suffering from trauma about 15 years back could have predisposed you to develop one of a couple of conditions. The first one is that you could have developed arthritis in the finger. Inflammation of the joints could lead to this sort of pain and difficulty in bending the finger at all. A simple x-ray of the finger would be able to diagnose the problem quite easily. Once diagnosed it can be treated with various medications including anti-inflammatory medications even steroids.

Another cause could be a hardening of the tendons which were damaged 15 years ago. Many a time tendons which were cut when they heal they develop fibrotic tissue which is harder than the normal tissue and can lead to this sort of pain. This would be diagnosed on an MRI of the finger and then can be treated with steroid injections or PRP injections.

At the same time, i would also advise getting tested for various forms of arthritis which can include RA factor, ESR, ANA and a complete ENA profile.

I would recommend that you have this evaluated by visiting a rheumatologist who can run these tests quite easily.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had Xrays and they came back normal. I don't have arthritis. Is there any pain medicatin I can take for the fibrotic tissue without getting the injections?

Anti-inflammatory medications may be helpful, ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily but it won't solve the problem as it will control the pain but not cure the problem. The injections can help resolve the problem once and for all. I would suggest getting the blood tests done as well, which would eliminate autoimmune conditions as a cause. Also, i would recommend the MRI as it will diagnose the condition.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor