Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with pneumococcal pneumonia about 10 days…

Second opinion] Hi I...

Second opinion] Hi I was diagnosed with pneumococcal pneumonia about 10 days ago. Since then I have been on 2 x antibiotics clarthromycin and cefroxime.
I have had 2 x X-rays to confirm and*****scan to say I still have lower left lobe pneumonia. I have been in and out of hospital and because of my poor treatment I am reluctant to go back. The antibiotics have cleared the very bad cough I had ( 6 weeks of coughing up green sputum) but I was fine otherwise. Last 10 days I have severe pain behind left breast and chest and back pain sleeping over 16 hours a day and just feel terrible my question is: could I just keep getting worse and these antibiotics are not actually treating the pneumonia? I am so unsure of what to do as I have a family to look after and I just can’t at the moment.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

No this is my first pneumonia.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have recently been diagnosed with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia

3/18/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. May I know your age please?
2. May I request you to upload a that the two X-rays and CT scan or at least the radiologist's impression of them?
3. Are you running any temperature or having breathlessness and retractions in the chest wall?
4. Is the pain in the chest and back which you are describing increases sharply during the respiratory movements, like deep breathing or coughing or laughing?
5. Is there any possible history of contact with a tuberculosis patient?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Thank you
1. 39 years old
2. ( uploaded )
3. I get a temp at night before I take more antibiotics of about 37.8 usually it’s 36
4. It’s more an aching pain under left breast that spreads across my chest. It hurts more to cough etc.
5. I don’t think so
1. 39
2. Added reports
3. I seem to get a higher temp at night of 37.8 my normal temp is 36.
4 slightly but it’s more of an aching pain from behind left Breast spreading across chest.
5. I don’t think so.
Below are the reports
Hi... Sorry for the delayed response. I was stuck with an emergency case.I have gone through the reports in detail.
Report says that you have developed a cylindrical bronchiectasis in the left lower lobe. This is not a simple left lower lobe pneumonia that is the reason why it is taking a longer time to resolve.Total duration of treatment can range from 6-8 weeks.The symptoms you are having of the pain and occasional fever is because of bronchiectasis which means some amount of lingering infection is still there that particular part of the lung. The breathing tubes in that area have become cylindrical and closed at one end with lodging of pus inside with the bacteria.I feel that the treatment options are correct and going on in the right direction. But because of the basic nature of the chronic suppurative lung disease pattern you are taking a long time for recovery.I suggest for speedy recovery you undergo chest Physiotherapy daily and expectorate all the sputum and spit it out.You can also I add oral clindamycin at 24 milligrams per kg per day in 4 divided doses for a total period of 6 weeks as this has got a better tissue penetration.I am sure that with this management you will feel better in one week and completely recover in 6 weeks." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD