Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question about my medications and possible

I have a question...

I have a question about my medications and possible interactions? I will see a Psych nurse on Monday and a psychiatrist on the 28th

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I was in the hospital and saw a psychiatrist The medications are Zoloft 50mg 1 x day klonopin 0.25 2 x a day trazadone 100mg at night. I also take metformin and klonopin. I have diarrhea that will not go away.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I was also on propranolol 20mg 3 x a day but stopped because I thought it might be the culprit. I did some research and serotonin syndrome seemed like a possibility.

3/18/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

It is for sure the metformin

no doubt

With all of those new psych medications, I thought it was elevated serotonin causing the diarrhea. Do you think it's the metformin interacting with one or some of the drugs or possibly just metformin itself.

I think the new meds probably pushed it over the edge and triggered diarrhea

I doubt serotonin syndrome.

you would have fever, ridigity and stiffness

I think it is just the mix of meds causing it

but the worst offender is metformin

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Thank you. I feel a little more hopeful that I can get a handle on this. Will follow up with my regular Dr. to see how we can deal with possibly dropping Metformin. Thanks again.

welcome :)

I suggest Metformin XR.

Long acting

less side effects