Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son was very sick and in the hospital and had a CT guided…

Second opinion] My son was...
Second opinion] My son was very sick and in the hospital and had a CT guided Pigtain Catheter inserted into his chest by an Interventional Radiologist My son was on blood thinners at the time. When it came time to remove The Pigtail Catheter, a Radiology Assistant transported my son from his room to radiology, xrayed his chest and went in and removed the pigtail catheter by himself. Initially, when he started to pull on the catheter he met with resistence. He then indicated he would wait for the doctor, who he called but never came. So the Radiology Assistant removed it himself and as soon as he did my son felt pain and shortness of breath, blood shot out of the whole in his chest and he started bleeding. A chest xray was taken but not read for three hours. By the time my son was returned to his room (3 hours in radiology) he was refused by the NP because of his low B/P, shortness of breath and he was pale and in pain. The NP instructed my son to be taken to ICU because his B/P was very low, he was pale and he had shortness of breath. A doctor came in and inserted a chest tube and immediately 650 ml of blood was drained. A surgeon was called and he did an emergency VATS removing 1250 additional ml of blood. My son was in ICU for three days receiving blood transfusions and plasma cells, fluids and experienced much pain. Thank goodness he is okay. I am curious as to this question. If it takes an interventional radiologist to insert the pigtail catheter with CT Guidance, why is it acceptable for a Radiology Assistant to remove the Pigtail Catheter, unsupervised, in a patient who is on blood thinners. I just hate for any other family to go through this. My son has healed. As I stated he had some other serious illness and this experience contributed to his extended healing. He is now recovered and back at work and functioning well. The Pigtail Catheter was placed to remove fluids from my sons lung. It was the second one placed about four days after removal of the first one. It remained in for three days. I just am really curious as to whether or not a Radiology Assistant should have removed the Pigtail Catheter from my son's lung without any direct supervision. Additionally, the xray taken immediately after removal was not read for three hours. My son was gone from his room in Radiology for three hours and there was nothing charted in his record during that time by the radiologay assistant, the radiologist or anyone else. The incident is not recorded in his records. Also while undergoing the VATS surgery, an administrator came and told me she had heard there was a mishap and she understands my son will be with the hospital a little longer. That is not charted anywhere in the record either. Is a radiology assistant qualified to remove a pigtail catheter from someone's lung without any supervision, especially a patient on blood thinners? Should he have charted this incident and should the Radiologist have charted the incident? Should the xray after the removal of the Pigtail Catheter have been read sooner than three hours in light of my son's negative reaction as soon as the tube was removed? I do not want this to happen to someone else.
3/18/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience, 10 years of which was as a Hospitalist. I am here to help you. First of all, let me say how sorry I am that your son had to go through all of the ordeal you underwent! It was absolutely avoidable and negligent on the part of the radiology assistant. Even for a straightforward removal of a pigtail catherter as a central intravenous line, he had no business removing it unspervised by a medical doctor or other advanced clinical practitioner. The moment he felt resistance he should have ceased and desisted. The fact that the hospital is not recording any of this in his medical records is criminal and a conspiracy in my opinion to cover up a clear case of medical malpractice and negligence. I strongly encourage you to seek legal counsel and demand copies of all his medical charting ASAP. Thing they may not have charted the details the timestamps on all his care, transfers and medications should clearly attest to their wrongdoing. You are most certainly entitled to compensation for yours and your son’s pain and suffering and those responsible should be held to account to make sure something like that never happens to anyone else ever again.
Can I help with anything else today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your candor Dr. Han. Just one other question, given the sequence of events my son endured after the removal of the catheter, is an hour delay in the radiologist reading the xray (read by a different radiologist than the one called after the PT Catheter was removed) timely or should the Radiologist familiar with the happenings have read the xray immediately. FYI, I am thankful to have my son alive and really do not wish to pursue a lawsuit. I am just interested in composing a demand on the Hospital to have clearly defined protocols for the removal of the PT Catheter and quicker radiologist read time in cases of an toward event. I will not mention your name at all. I also want to see stricter guidelines implemented in regard to charting while patients are in Radiology. Again thanks and I am anxious to hear what your thoughts are on the xray.
I understand. And allow me to say, your restraint regarding a law suit and earnest desire to ensure this never happens again are truly noble. I salute you, your heart is better than most. Regarding the X-ray, it should have been both obtained and formerly read by a radiologist STAT meaning right away, on the spot, practically in real time because it would have clearly show the hemothorax or bleeding into the chest, which was virtually already knowable by the symptoms you son immediately felt and the visible bleeding when the catheter was removed. I am still quite appalled at the gross negligence this so called hospital and it’s staff made you and your son endure. Allow me to say as well, I truly believe you both deserve something for your pain and suffering and in all honesty, hospital staff and administrators generally respond most effectively and efficiently when large amounts of money are involved.
I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you again. You were great and I appreciate your time very much.
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD