Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son was very sick and in the hospital and had a CT guided…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My son was...
Second opinion] My son was very sick and in the hospital and had a CT guided Pigtain Catheter inserted into his chest (lung) by an Interventional Radiologist My son was on blood thinners at the time. When it came time to remove the pigtail catheter, a Radiology Assistant went and transported my son to radiology and took an xray of my son's chest which showed the Pigtail Catheter in Place. The radiologist assistant then attempted to removed the pigtail catheter by himself and encountered some resistance so he told my son he would wait for the radiologist, who never showed up. The Radiologist Assistant said he was going to remove the Pigtail Cathter because he could not wait for the doctor any longer and pulled the pigtail catheter out. As soon as he did, blood shot out of my son's chest, my son felt pain and shortness of breath and started bleeding. My son remembers another chest xray was taken and then passed out. The xray was not read for three hours. My son was gone from his room and in Radiology for three hours. By the time my son was returned to his room, the NP refused him because he had shortness of breath, his blood pressure had dropped to 69/45 and my son was in pain. My son was taken to ICU because his B/P was very low, he was pale and he had shortness of breath. A doctor inserted a chest tube and immediately 650 ml of blood was drained. A surgeon was called and he did an emergency VATS removing 1250 additional ml of blood. My son was in ICU for three days receiving blood transfusions and plasma cells, fluids and experienced much pain. Thank goodness he is okay today. While my son was in surgery, an administrator came and spoke to me telling me she heard that my son would be with us for a while longer because of a mishap he had in radiology. There was absolutely no charting the entire time my son was in radiology. The event was not charted. The meeting with the administrator was not charted in my son's chart. I am curious as to this question. If it takes an interventional radiologist to insert the pigtail catheter with CT Guidance, why is it acceptable for a Radio Technologist to remove the Pigtail Catheter, unsupervised, in a patient who is on blood thinners. I just hate for any other family to go through this. Also shouldn't all of the events in Radiology and the meeting with the Administrator been charted also? The Pigtail Catheter was placed to remove fluids from my sons lung. It was the second one placed about four days after removal of the first one. I just am really curious as to whether or not a Radiology Assistant should have been the one to remove the PT Catheter, unsupervised, should all events that took place in radiology been charted and should the x-ray after the removal of the PT Catheter been read immediately.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 2 days by:
3/20/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello-

I have read through the previous questions as well.

I think there are a few things that went wrong here.

The act of pulling the pigtail catheter and causing the bleed is an unfortunate issue, certainly a complication, but one that is a known possibility from the simple placement of the catheter.

However -- I believe you should investigate (and ask the hospital):

1. Is it appropriate that the radiology technician pull the catheter out? (each hospital will have different policies based on training) Removal of the catheter itself is technically easy (you just pull), but certainly whomever is doing it has to be able to recognize potential complications. Given your story -- the bleeding would have happened to anyone pulling the catheter out (a doctor, nurse, technician, etc).

2. The xray should have been read immediately -- STAT xrays are generally read within minutes of them being taken. Why did it take 3 hours in his case.

3. Why was the adverse event not recorded in the medical chart? The administrator coming to talk with you would not be a part of the medical record, but the radiologist who was supervising the removal of the catheter certainly should have noted this in the medical chart, including reasons for ordering a STAT xray.

In your case, I believe you have an issue with the hospital on point #2 (potential delay in diagnosis) and #3 (lack of documentation).

While you may not want to sue or get a lawyer, some type of financial compensation would seem to be in order, because from your story it makes it seem like they were trying to "hide" a mistake. People make mistakes, but trying to hide them from patients is not acceptable.