Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I be been feeling small pressure in my left side chest for…

Customer Question
I be been feeling...

I be been feeling small pressure in my left side chest for about the past three weeks and today my for arm started feeling a righting feeling. I hope it’s not a heart attack. I went to a clinic a few days ago and got an ekg and they told me I was fine and it could be inflammation between the ribs and the muscle but I don’t think they put enough attention to everything please help me. I don’t feel Nausea or anything and I would describe any of this as pain. Because I can live with it but I don’t want to have a heart attack.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

I haven’t had this feeling on my left arm before but my chest has been feeling like this for over 3 weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Well note that it’s only my for arm feeling this tightness. In the past about 4 years ago I had a similar feeling but the doctors have always told me it has to do with muscle tissue and it should go away but it has came back occasionally and now I’ve been feeling it for over 3 weeks straight and has only went away when I keep my mind off of it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/17/2018
Doctor: Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

What is your age?
suffer from any illness?
What is your job?
have you made any effort before you started this pain?
Do you have pain when touching your left chest?
that makes the pain worse?
Do you have stress or anxiety?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello I turned 21 today.
I don’t suffer of any illness.
I do lawn mowing.
When I put my arm over the left side of my chest it relives the “pain” even though I wouldn’t describe it as pain. It’s just discomfort.
I think I might have stress due to always having things on my mind. I’ve had anxiety before and especially when smoking marijuana but I’ve only kept doing it because it helps me sleep and prevents the night sweats that I have when I don’t smoke. I don’t know why I’m having night sweats I’ve talked to the doctor about it but I feel like he never focuses on that much
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant when I put my hand over it

Dear friend, for the symptoms that you describe very well, in fact it is a condition called intercostal neuralgia, just below each ribs from the neck and all the ribs run nerves, which by the effect of contraction of the muscles intercostal during breathing are compressed and the usual efforts to get up from the bed or chair and even when lifting objects increases its contraction with the consequent compression of the nerves generating this pain and inflammation characteristic of the area this pain can be described as a stinging, a stabbing, a laceration, an oppressive or a hypersensitivity., depending on the intensity at some time can even feel that lack of breathing and can extend to the affected arm as a crash or to the stomach, now this is temporary but needs medication and rest, should not lift any heavy object. So you should not be alarmed but stress and anxiety make it worse since it is nerves that are affected.

The best treatment is physical activity, such as yoga, pilates that involves stretching, avoiding staying in the same position for long hours, for example sitting in front of the desk. Since all this prevents muscle contractures from occurring, avoiding neural compression.

I suggest the following medical treatment with analgesic such as Diclofenac 50 mg or Ibuprofen 200mg (1) one tablet every 8 hours for 5 days in addition to a muscle relaxant such as Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg (1) one tablet every 12 hour for days In addition to intramuscular b12 complex 1 intramuscular 3 dose interdayily , this will relieve symptoms but should reduce stress.

it is likely that your problem has several origins such as anxiety and your job.
but you mustn't be alarmed.

Do you have any doubt?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor