Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just complain about my 3yrs old son taking antacid and…

I just complain about my...
I just complain about my 3yrs old son taking antacid and Anti-flatulence tabs and is having difficulty sleeping
3/17/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

I'm new to this site but I think another doctor was looking at this issue for me.

Hi... I understand your concern. A 3 year old child having anti flatulance and antacid tablets will not have any major problems please. Usually these medicines are either aluminium salt or magnesium salt. Both of these have a very wide range of safety profile and do not create serious medical complications even if consumed by children. Aluminium salt might cause some amount of constipation and magnesium salt might cause some amount of diarrhoea.

But as such these are medicines with a very wide safety profile and you need not be worried at all.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Exactly so the components are Aluminium hydroxide USP 250mg, Magnesium hydroxide USD 250mg and Simethicone USD 50mg
What do I need to do to give him a sound sleep tonight?
Hi... He will get these drugs out of his system in 24 hours. Please do not be perturbed for this and I do not suggest that you give anything for him right now to make him sleep well.He is going to be happy and healthy as ever even without any active intervention as of now.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
You mean it isn't a problem even if he takes 4 tablets? The sachet is 4 tablets and it was empty when I got him. I'm disturbed :(. Sorry for my lack of confidence in this regard, I believe you understand. My fear is the 4 tablets since an adult is even asked to take 1 tablet at a time and the dosage is not written on it.
Hi... No need to be sorry at all. As a pediatrician I completely understand a parent's anxiety when they see their kids with an empty drug pack.But why I am telling that you need not worry he is because of the extremely wide safety profile of these antacid medications which are not going to create any problems even if consumed in large quantities such as 10 tablets at a time by an adult.At the most as I had mentioned that maybe some constipation or diarrhoea and that too for only very short period.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Thank you Dr Sumanth. I think now I'm assured of the range of safety with the latest example you gave. thank you!

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and has put your mind at ease please.