Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son was very sick and in the hospital and had a CT guided…

My son was very...

My son was very sick and in the hospital and had a CT guided Pigtain Catheter inserted into his chest by an Interventional Radiologist My son was on blood thinners at the time. When it came time to remove it a Radiology Technologist went in and removed the pigtail catheter by himself and as soon as he did my son felt pain and shortness of breath and started bleeding. A chest xray was taken but not read for three hours. by the time my son was returned to his room (3 hours in radiology) he was taken to ICU because his B/P was very low, he was pale and he had shortness of breath. A doctor inserted a chest tube and immediately 650 ml of blood was drained. A surgeon was called and he did an emergency VATS removing 1250 additional ml of blood. My son was in ICU for three days receiving blood transfusions and plasma cells, fluids and experienced much pain. Thank goodness he is okay. I am curious as to this question. If it takes an interventional radiologist to insert the pigtail catheter with CT Guidance, why is it acceptable for a Radio Technologist to remove the Pigtail Catheter, unsupervised, in a patient who is on blood thinners. I just hate for any other family to go through this.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

My son has healed. As I stated he had some other serious illness and this experience contributed to his extended healing. He is now recovered and back at work and functioning well.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. The Pigtail Catheter was placed to remove fluids from my sons lung. It was the second one placed about four days after removal of the first one. I just am really curious as to whether or not a Radiology Assistant (RA not Radiology assistant not radiology technologist. I misspoke earlier.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I misspoke. It was not a radiology tech who removed the pigtail catheter, it was a radiology assistant. I don't know if that makes a difference, however, he was alone in the room with my son with no supervision'
3/17/2018
Ross
Ross, Doctor

hello Dr Ross i will;l try to help sorry your son had such a rough course,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. The Pigtail Catheter was in my son's lung. I guess you probably knew this, but I don't know if I said it.

policy's on removal of tubes vary by hospital, a pigtail routinely should not bleed but after 3 prior was a chance more inflamed or the tube went through a blood vessel that was tamponing it on insertion but bleed with removal

so hard to say if it would not bled no matter who removed it

t​he hospital will respond with they are sorry it happened but it is a risk of the pigtail one of those risk they defined in small print

i am a urologist for 30 years and if a known complication has not occurred i call it luck because sooner or later it will because no one is immune from the 1% happening to them

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My son was in radiology for a little over three hours and during that time, no charting in his chart was done by anyone in radiology. So we don't know what happened. Only what my son told me. Also there were not three prior pigtails, this was just his second pigtail catheter, inserted three to four days after the removal of the first and in place for three days . Should this radiology assistant been the one to remove the pigtail catheter unsupervised. Especially since my son was on blood thinners and shouldn't some one have read the xray after removal right away?

yes removing has little risk usually but the xray should have been read earlier, the bleed could have occurred in anyone's hand

charting should have been done, again this is not a usual occurrence

e​very hospital has there policy for what can be done based on there training

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I do not feel as if my question has been answered. I realize that a bleed could have occurred at anyone's hand, however, my feeling is that had a doctor been present or even a registered nurse, they could have acted faster medically speaking because of their greater knowledge.The RA just returned my son to his room where the NP refused him back in his room and had him transfered to ICU immediately because of the change in his condition. The radiologist did not chart either.

​i would check with the HR department, requirements they have and there job descriptions , to see if training on that was required or minimal supervised removals, Again im sorry for you son and glad he is better, sorry i did not say what you wanted to hear, i do not know that hospitals protocols

charting was the only hard fast policy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No apologies necessary. I appreciate your time. I just wanted to make sure this doesn't happen to others. This is what I told the Administrator who came to speak with me and tell me she understood they had a little mishap. This is what peaked my curiosity to begin with. I guess it is whatever the Hospital says it is since no charting was done for the three hours my son was in radiology.

good luck on getting resolution

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My conversation with the administrator is not in the record either.

again being medical director chief of surgery over the years charting is the main error so that they can learn from problems

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you doctor. I appreciate your time.

keep on asking for future charting

Ross
Ross, Doctor
Ross
Ross
Ross, Doctor