Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

It is a complex question but i will give you the background…

Customer Question
Hi so it is...

Hi so it is a complex question but i will give you the background so i have never been the best eater but i can always eat whatever you give me or at least try to eat it all i am 20 years old and just now for a couple of weeks i have not been able to eat. I am not pregnant and i don't think i have an eating disorder either. I am hungry but when i eat like two-three spoon fulls i am done and that will be for the whole day and i won't eat again Now i got really sick and my skin is so pale now i look very sick and i am losing weight very fast and everyone tells me how sick i look and i am starting to see it i didn't think it was an issue i thought i was just having bad days where i would eat and then i wouldn't want to eat but its been three weeks now and i feel very weak and i cant force myself to eat or else i feel sick

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

I used to have very pretty long nails and now they are really sensitive and short like brittle and my skin has been real pale almost so pale i look like a dead body for about a week or two

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was anemic when i was younger around 7-8 okay thank you

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 2 days by:
3/19/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sabina, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sabina
Dr. Sabina, Doctor

Hello and welcome! I'm Dr. Sabina and I look forward to helping you with your question today. I'll be back in just a moment with my reply.

I'm really sorry to hear that you have not been able to eat and now are feeling weak.

In fact, your symptoms sound pretty concerning! If you are only able to take in a few spoons of food a day then I am not surprised that after a few weeks you are feeling weak as your body needs more food for energy to thrive.

Are you able to drink water at all or is it mostly a problem with food? Do you feel nauseated when you eat, do you get pain in your throat or belly, or do you ever feel like you food gets stuck in your throat? Do you feel full after a few spoons of food? Have you vomited after eating? All of these questions can help your doctor to pinpoint what is going on.

It could be that something is going on with your esophagus or stomach so that your body cannot make space for more food that an a few spoons. Another possibility is an infection or other medical condition that is affecting your whole body and the eating part is only what is noticeable right now. You are right, we would also consider an easting disorder or pregnancy as well.

The only way to know for sure, and to be able to fix it so that you can safely eat more so your body gets the energy it needs, s to see a medical provider in person. They can look at your throat, examine your skin which you say is very pale now, and check for pain and masses in the belly. They will also likely want to run some simple blood tests to see how your kidneys, liver and blood counts are doing. They may need to send you for a closer inspection of the esophagus and inside of the stomach if they suspect something is not working right there. At the least, they can give you some IV fluids since you are feeling so weak I suspect you may be dehydrated.

I hope you are able to see a medical provider soon as you will start to feel better once you can get proper diagnostics and treatment, I wouldn't delay since you haven't been able to eat well for a few weeks.

I hope this was helpful for you. Please remember that Just Answer is for educational information only and not medical advice. Please let me know if I can help you further. I hope you are able to eat normally soon and can feel better!

Dr. Sabina
Dr. Sabina
Dr. Sabina, Doctor