Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Suddenly a severe pain is happening on the inside back of my…

Customer Question
Suddenly a severe pain...

Suddenly a severe pain is happening on the inside back of my knee, which is triggered when I go from bent knee (e.g. when sitting or on my knees cleaning floor) to straightening the leg to stand. It is a very acute pain, and feels like something has "slipped" in the back of my knee. The pain and resistant to straightening (stiffness) lasts for a few minutes while I "walk it out"---I'm concerned of course, but more so because I just finished a course of Levoquin (for pneumonia) and the side effects listed refer to tendon issues. No clinics or docs are around on the weekends here in the mountains, but I have an appt with FNP on Tuesday.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No recent injuires--I'm quite active but have been immobile for over two weeks with the pneumonia. What makes it better is time passing (a few minutes) and walking until I can fully straighten the leg--It's happened suddenly and 4 times this morning. Weight bearing is not the trigger--it's the going from bent knee to straight knee. I don't know what to make of it.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of--just have the usual osteoarthritis that a person of 76 has--nothing that immobilizes me. Am on meds for various annoying things (NEXIUM) (STATIN)

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/17/2018
Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hi... I understand your concern.From the history points which you have given and from the symptom analysis I put forth these possibilities -1. This is definitely not a tendon rupture because of the antibiotic therapy which you have used for pneumonia. Many of the cases reported are is not in that region behind the knee and as such this association has been ruled out in medical literature.2. Second possibility is cyst in the reason behind the knee joint which is self limiting in a few days.3. Extremely rare from the symptom analysis but still theoretically there is a possibility of anterior or posterior cruciate ligament strain or injury.As of now I suggest that you take Ibuprofen 400 milligrams thrice a day if the pay is very severe and keep the leg in the neutral position wherever or in which your posture you are." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD