Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Due to a very busy work function due to my condition had to…

Due to a very busy...
Due to a very busy work function due to my condition had to wear a foley catheter past few days. Since I took it off last night my urgency is real bad. Is that because of the Foley and will that go away in a few hours or a day or two
3/17/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

There are two kinds of effects one can experience once Foley's catheter is removed.

First, one can develop acute retention of urine, requiring re-insertion of catheter and bladder training before attempting removal again.

Second, one can develop urgency also, because the bladder muscles have been devoid of any pressure reflex for few hours/days and they become sensitive to the pressure symptoms when Foley's is removed. This is generally transient condition and should go away in 1 to 2 days, but if this remains persistent, then an evaluation is required, because this can happen due to infection of urinary tract secondary to Foley's catheter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I suffer from interstitial Cystitis hence overactive bladder

Right. Most likely this is post-removal transient phenomenon.

You can wait for the time being, but if this persist beyond a day or two, urinalysis should be done to rule out infection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No infection I got checked on Thursday

That's reassuring.

In that case you have to wait and see if this improves on its own or not.

If doesn't, then a repeat test again to rule out infection. If again infection is ruled out, then this is just a flare up of interstitial cystitis symptoms.

Was it helpful?

Do you have any query/clarification?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just gave you 5 stars. Is there anything I could take to help my system go back to normal. Going about once an hour. Can be prescription if need be

Limit your water and fluid intake 1.2 litres, and avoid caffeinated drinks.

That's it. I hope this will return back to normal soon.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor