Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Opiod addiction

Opiod addiction
3/17/2018
Camille-Mod
I'm Camille and I'm a moderator for this topic. While I am not trying to discourage you from getting help from our Experts, I do want you to know that at this time we do not offer prescription service of any kind, nor can we offer Doctor's excuses or notes. Experts can not direct you to a specific Physician for any kind of treatment or services which includes requests for Doctors that can/will write certain medication prescriptions for you as this is handled on a case by case basis by the individual Physicians you may choose for your hands-on care.
Please let me know if you want to continue or cancel your question. I'm happy to further assist you.
Best,
Camille - Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My close friend of 15 years with whom I've developed an intimate relationship with recently has a problem. She was addicted to pain pills for a couple years then got help. However, I know she's not better. I see her eyes rolling. Her eyes get heavy. She talks slower than normal. And then the other half of the time she is very energetic. Probably because she is prescribed Adderall. She always lies and makes excuses and it kills me. I can't confront her or accuse her because she gets so defensive and I don't want to push her away from me. I want to help. But I don't know how. I'm desperate
Thanks so much for clarifying. I will help find an Expert to assist you. You will receive and email when you get a response. Thank you *****
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There is no easy answer in these situations, and the approach that works well for one person may not work well for another.

However, an approach that is commonly used is to honestly and lovingly address your observations and concerns about her behavior. Your descriptions of her behavior should be objective descriptions of her behavior, not your interpretations of what may be behind the behavior, and then you should describe how it makes you feel.

It also may work better to have a similar discussion that includes many close friends and family. If one person describes a behavior, it is relatively easy for the individual to discount that one person's perspective. But if a number of close friends and family describe similar behaviors, then it is more difficult to discount the multiple perspectives.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would I go about approaching her parents about this? I've known them as long as I've known her but I'm afraid to say anything to them. I don't know how they don't see what's going on but I don't want them be upset with me for bringing it up.

There also is no single approach that works for every situation. But the most common would be to say to the parents that you would like their input because you have seen some behavior that is causing some concern and would like to know whether they have seen any similar behavior or have some similar concerns. You can then share your objective observations about the behavior that is concerning.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor