Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am changing from Humira to Stelara. Last night was first…

Customer Question
I am changing from...

I am changing from Humira to Stelara. Last night was first dose of Stelara and I experienced hives on my torso. Benadryl relieved them. Woke up this am to even more and severe headache and some body aches.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea at all. Headache is in frontal lobe. Since last night was loading dose of 45, today is first day with these symptoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’m allergic to remicade. Took remicade in 2003 (had 4 infusions over the past year). Remicade gave me drug induced lupus. Those symptoms resolved about a year later. It was brutal so my rheumatologist (UNC Chapel Hill) has been very careful with what she subscribes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/17/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This should be considered an allergic reaction to Ustekinumab (Stelara); since the hives appeared after injection, and disappeared with an anti-allergic agent.

Now the fact that they have re-appeared and getting worse, associated with headache, means you are showing sensitivity to this drug also.

Sometimes, if the reactions are very mild then a particular drug can be continued under cover of anti-allergic drugs; and sometimes steroids but this has to be done under direct supervision of an immunologist. If you have access and can get referral to an immunologist, there is no harm in getting their opinion before your rheumatologist choose to stop this drug completely and shift you to another agent.

Was it helpful?

No. It wasn’t helpful. Those are things I already knew.

No problem.

Let me know what is your exact query?