Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with chlamydia in January and contracted it…

I was diagnosed with...

I was diagnosed with chlamydia in January and contracted it in either November or August. My doctor did a pelvic exam and ran blood tests to see if I had PID. She told me I had "no signs of PID" and gave me antibiotics for chlamydia. I'm scared that at some point during my infection I did have PID and maybe she could not tell 100% I did not have it. Is that possible or would the blood test have shown I had PID?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

I tested negative for PID but I read that its difficult to diagnose 100%

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes, I had a UTI the december before I was diagnosed with chlamydia. I contracted the chlamydia in November most likely, but maybe august. Once again, Im not sure if this was actually a UTI or a misdiagnosis. I was given antibiotics and the symptoms went away

3/17/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, if you had active PID then it would have been picked up quite easily on blood, urine tests as well as the pelvic examination. If necessary a pelvic ultrasound would be diagnostic as well. Now the thing is that ACTIVE PID can be picked up on these tests and if you had PID in the past then it would be difficult to determine if PID was present. The only way we can say that you had PID in the past would be to look at your history and also if the PID had led to complications such as thickening of the uterus, hardening of the tissues etc which would be again diagnosed on the ultrasound.

PID is an infection and once the infection settles down then we cant know whether a patient had it or not in the past UNLESS you developed complications because of the infection. The complications occur in less than 1-3% of the patients who actually have PID and in most patients once the infection clears, no lasting problems remain.

If the tests did not show any abnormalities that means that even if you had PID it did not lead to ANY lasting damage to your uterus and the rest of your genital tract. If the damage was present then it would have been picked up on the blood tests and the pelvic examination. But the main point to consider here is that IF you had PID in the past, then it would NOT have healed on its own without the use of antibiotics, chlamydia-related PID would require antibiotics to improve. And it is not possible that it disappeared on its own.

Lastly, NOT all cases of chlamydia lead to the development of PID. In fact only 10% the cases of chlamydia develop the serious form of PID and lead to complications later on.

So in short if your doctor has cleared you of PID then that means that you DONT have PID right now and it is unlikely that you had PID in the past. Why you may ask? Because if you developed PID because of the chlamydia then it would not have healed without any antibiotics taken for 10-14 days and thus would have been picked up on your current examination. (As you would still be suffering from it)

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. I feel a lot better. One last question, could the antibiotics I was treated with for my UTI have cleared any infection? I forget the name of them, but obviously it did not cure the chlamydia so I am assuming it would not have cured any PID either if I had it at the time.

It would not have cleared the PID if the PID was due to the chlamydia. Simply put chlamydial PID would need treatment with doxycycline or azithromycin. So it is unlikely the antibiotics you used for UTI cleared any PID.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am nervous because I know the symptoms are similar. And I was treated by a nurse at my school’s clinic for the uti, and she did not test me for STDs

As I said, if you had PID then it would not have cleared due to the antibiotics for PID because if cleared the PID then the chlamydia should have been treated as well. All this means that you dont have PID now and did not have PID in the past either.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor