Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had slept wrong and woke with my neck stiff and sore.

I had slept wrong...

I had slept wrong and woke with my neck stiff and sore. After a few days the knot seemd to move to my left shoulder blade. Very painful, now pain even travels down my arm. How can i get the back pain to stop

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No njuries. Slept wrong on too big a pillow had a " crick" in my neck as the old folks say but the knot in the muscles moved down to my shoulder blade and down my arm

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take hp pills eand hi cholerteol pills, new in thr last month

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer
This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.
Thank you.
Kind Regards
Dr.Josh

What is your age & gender?

Is there any numbness besides the pain in shoulder/arm?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am female 63. No heat probs. No numbness. Hand tingles some. My doc was told all this a week ago and he prescribed muscle relaxers that helped but nowk i have run out

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having pain,stiffness & soreness in neck , left shoulder blade and down the arm is most likely suggestive of acute cervical spondylitis and/or spondylosis. Because of wrong position of neck on very high pillow, this nerve gets compressed (pinched nerve).

Following is recommended for you now:

• Take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter.
  • Apply heat in the form of a warm wash cloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the area allowing to subside the inflammation
  • Apply analgesic gel such as diclofenac sodium twice a day
  • Have bed rest as much as possible.

All this will help you greatly.

Please do not worry. There is nothing serious or dangerous about this

If still after this,the symptoms persists,then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral muscle relaxants may need to be continued for few more days.

As of now,please follow these above described measures.

Thank you

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he put me on cyclobenzaprine ...helped some but ran out and still have pain on shoulder blade and down my arm. Tried heating pads and ice packs too
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Consultant
Phone call session started

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Yes,muscle relaxants like cyclobenzaprine for few more days. This is drug of choice to cure this.

I advise you to get back to your doctor & get prescription for muscle relaxant accordingly.

Continue to apply heat pads. This will help.

It may take a time of 1-2 weeks for complete relief.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor