Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Would like this (2 page) report interpreted in layman's

Would like this (2 page)...
Would like this (2 page) report interpreted in layman's terms please. Thanks!
There were 4 areas imaged but only 1 report
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Subtle edema means there is small amount of fluid collection in your vastus muscles on both sides.This is due to Myositis that you have.

There is also some edema (fluid collection) along your lower legs muscles which is also due to myositis.

There are no other abnormalities meaning your nerves,joints,lower leg bones and size of muscles is Normal.

There is no atrophy means there is no shrinking or shortening of muscles.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread.

Thank you.

Best wishes

Thank you very much for your answer. Could such a result be caused by anything other than myositis? If so, what might that be?

No this is due to myositis most likely as you do have a history of myositis.

It can be due to an injury or any infection as well.

But your report is more consistent with myositis.

You're welcome :)

Thank you again. So do the descriptions of edema and other findings as “mild” or “equivocal” have any bearing on severity of symptoms as per muscle weakness?

Yes these suggest that condition myositis is not severe at the moment

Unfortunately the symptoms have been severe for 4+ years and am in a wheelchair, unable to stand or bear weight. Does that mean this result does not align with such a condition?

I'm very sorry to hear about that.

This depends on your previous reports.We can compare both to see if this is getting worse or not.

In this report it clearly says no atrophy and subtle edema

Just to confirm, atrophy would show on this type of imaging?

Yes

would there be atrophy after 4 years of not walking?
Sorry, but this is why I’m so confused

It depends and varies from person to person.

If there is physiotherapy then it is possible to not have any atrophy even after 4 years

Thank you again. Do these photos show atrophy?

You're welcome.

I can't appreciate any muscle wasting in these 4 images.

Does that mean you can’t tell or that you can see there is no muscle wasting or atrophy?
Doctor who ordered the MRIs said he saw a significant amount of atrophy on his exam so having trouble understanding how the report doesn’t show any (no longer see this doctor)
it is visible to me even before I became wheelchair dependent
Also, there is no other report of this area for comparison. History of infectious myositis from 2012; around that time there was an MRI of the presumed infectious source (foot) but this is the first study done of the leg muscles.

You see in order to tell accurately whether there is any atrophy or not, an examination is required.

The diameter of both leg muscles is measured.

From pictures I can only tell if there is some gross or severe atrophy which is not visible.

I'm not sure why this report is not matching with your previous examination findings.

As this depends on the judgement of the doctor you had previously and the radiologist who reported this MRI.

I see, thank you for trying :). Would this kind of report (no atrophy or other muscle breakdown, etc) be expected to be found for someone who hasn’t stood or walked for nearly 4 years and is 20 yrs old?
With only aqua therapy

Yes indeed this report can be expected.

It is possible not to have any atrophy.

You see MRI can easily tell and pick any atrophy.It is not something that can be missed.

You're welcome :)

being completely inactive for this period of time wouldn’t impact muscle size or strength? Or is that different from atrophy?

Yes it might not cause any atrophy if the diet is good.

Atrophy can be due to so many other reasons as well

Please don't forget to click on the stars on top left corner to rate this positively with 5 stars.You won;t be charged anything for rating positively.

Thank you

Is there anything other than atrophy that could cause legs to look withered and I’d have to describe as “dented” on the quads and front of calves?

Yes this can be simply due to lack of exercise.As you haven't walked for 4 years now.

what is that, low muscle tone? I’m wondering if doctors are saying “atrophy” when that’s what they actually mean

Low muscle tone means muscles are weak.

Would low muscle tone / weak muscles show up on an mri as well? If so, did it show in this report?
I’m sorry, I’m just having so much trouble making sense of this

No MRI tells if there is any atrophy or not.

It does not tell about tone.

Tone and strength are assessed by examination.

Ok thank you, ***** ***** I’ve got it now. Muscle MRI pretty much tells if there is a problem with or in the muscle itself, correct? So if the muscle weakness is due to a signal not getting to the otherwise healthy muscle, it would not show on this type of test? So myositis does not refer to a problem of muscle but a problem elsewhere in the process that could cause the muscle to become weak?
Because atrophy is a problem with the muscle

Atrophy just tells about the size of the muscle.

It does not tell about the strength or tone.

Myositis is an inflammation of muscles.

It does not necessarily cause any atrophy.

Medicaldoctor