Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been told this is jock itch but I just want to get a…

Hi,I've been told this is...
Hi,I've been told this is jock itch but I just want to get a second opinion and make sure that it is NOT herpes.
3/16/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Please give me a moment to review the pictures. In the mean time, can you tell me please, have you been experiencing any significant pain in the genital area? Have you ever been diagnosed with any other sexually transmitted illnesses such as gonorrhea or chlamydia?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No STDs. No pain. Just itching from the infected area. The infected area is small, only what's in the picture. Nowhere else.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Additionally, this is the second time in three months that this has happened. The last doctor also said it wasn't an STD, but some kind bacterial or fungal infection. Same place, same symptoms.

Thank you for that information. The fact that it's not painful and you've never had any STD's suggests that it's probably NOT herpes. That being said, the "bubbly" appearance to the affected area is somewhat suspicious. Are you currently being treated with any antibiotics or antifungals? Are you putting any medication on the skin now? And have you ever been blood tested for herpes at all in the recent past?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm putting clotrimazole cream on it and have been for a couple days now. No antibiotics. Recent past was November and it was negative.

Thank you for that information. With the negative test result, and the similar appearance in the past, then I agree with your doctor, it's not herpes. The yellowish crusts are suggestive of skin bacteria involvement. I'd recommend applying some over the counter antibiotic ointment, called bacitracin, 3x per day for 1-2 weeks. Clean gently with soap and water first, then apply. Should clear up between the bacitracin and the clotrimazole.

Anything else I can help with today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. They also recommended hibicleanse for prevention. Do you agree with that?

Yes, hibicleanse is an excellent antibacterial/antifungal cleanser. It can dry out the skin, so I would apply some moisturizing lotion once in a while too.

I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yup, this is great. Thank you!

You're very welcome. Please remember to leave a positive review! Have a good one.

Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD