Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Healthy 31 year old female here. Worked out Tuesday night…

Healthy 31 year old...

Healthy 31 year old female here. Worked out Tuesday night and ever since have been experiencing major chest/upper back pain especially when swallowing. Feels like my esophagus is so small the food has a hard time pushing thru. Right at my middle of my chest.

Doctor's Assistant: When did the pain begin? Have you used any medication for it?

Began Wednesday am. Only advil

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the pain?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nope. Clear record. Very healthy. I think maybe it’s a pulled muscle but not sure about why it hurts so bad to swallow

3/16/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Does he only have pain when he swallows, or does he have pain when making an effort?

I have extreme pain when I swallow. And slight pain when I take a deep breath or twist backward/turn my head back to look over my shoulder

Have you taken any medication?

No only Advil, but none today

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Ok no problem, thank you.

Dear *****ient, because of the symptoms you describe, a condition called intercostal neuralgia is impressing, just below each rib and from the neck there are nerves which, due to the effect of the contraction of the intercostal muscles during breathing, are compressed and the usual efforts such as getting out of bed, for example, Depending on the intensity at some point you may even feel this shortness of breath and it can spread to the affected arm as a shock or to the stomach, and by swallowing the neck muscles contract which can worsen the symptoms. These symptoms are very varied and can start from the neck and back, but all are due to compression of nerves by contractures.
Jobs that force you to sit for long hours, in the same position, or in front of an pc make these conditions worse.
You should not be alarmed as this is temporary but needs medication and rest, no heavy lifting. Therefore, you should not be alarmed, but stress and anxiety make it worse, as it is the nerves that are affected.
The best treatment is physical activity, such as yoga, pilates which involves stretching, avoiding staying in the same position for long hours, for example sitting at the table. Since all this causes muscle contractures.

I suggest the following medical treatment with analgesics such as Diclofenac 50 mg(1) or Ibuprofen 200mg (advil) one tablet every 8 hours for 5 days, plus a muscle relaxant such as Tizanidine 2 mg(1) one tablet at night for 10 days as it generates some sleep.

Do you have any doubt?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Are all those medications available over the counter?

for these medicines you do not need a prescription.
in the case of tizanidine yes,
You can change it to Ciclobenzaprina of 10mg every 12 hours for 7 days.

Ok thank you so much

Its has been a pleasure

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Edgar Rubio Villegas