Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have single osteophyte on my acetabulum. I can literally…

I have single osteophyte on...
I have single osteophyte on my acetabulum. I can literally feel either a ligament or a tendon snapping over the area while on an elliptical or riding a bike. Can anything be done about 1 osteophyte? Do I really need a full hip replacement? I still have reasonably healthy joint with normal wear.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Please could you indicate the following information?

How old are you?

How long do you have with this symptoms?

how do you rate the mobility of your hip?

The osteophyte is on the lateral edge of my acetabulum. I thought it might be removed arthroscopically??
Really became a challenge over the last 12 months. 80% mobility compared to other hip that has already been replaced. I'm very active, exercise 3-5 times per week. Cycle, ellipitical and swim in the summer

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Dear *****ient, considering that you claim to have a good quality of life with your current joint, I can suggest the following.
An osteophyte represents a wear on the hip (osteoarthritis), and the permanence of the osteophyte in the hip can damage it since it will continue to wear in the future and in your case being a very active person the wear will be faster.
Osteophytes can be removed by arthroscopy but this will depend on the quality of the cartilage in the hip joint.
If your joint is preserved, the osteophyte can be removed with arthroscopy to take advantage of the longer service life of your joint.
Arthroscopy is a simple, safe and fast procedure that is best for you

these decisions always depend on the surgeon's experience in arthroscopic surgery
do you have any questions?

Thanks, ***** ***** meet with my Orthopedic Surgeon to discuss.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas