Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was just wondering what would cause a weird twitching

Customer Question
Hi! I was...

Hi! I was just wondering what would cause a weird twitching sensation under the left ribcage... no pain.. & it sort of comes & goes. Is this a G.I.tract spasm or muscles in that area?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Oh, it's not pain at all.. sort of feels like a nerve twitching or something...

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, other than I just started on the generic version of a birth control pill a week ago.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Doctor: Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Please could you indicate the following information

How old are you?

Do you suffer from any illness?

How long do you have with this symptoms?

47. Not suffering from any illness.. just under lots of stress lately. Only have had symptom today.. on & off. It's not pain.. feels like muscle twitches actually.
no, text is fine.. no call necessary

ok, Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Dear *****ient, from the symptoms you describe, you have the impression that this is the colon.
The colon is located below the rib cage along with the diaphragm. In situations of stress or anxiety, the colon responds to stimuli and hormones generated by stress such as cortisol. When this occurs the colon is stimulated and generates an increase in its bowel movements, which are spasms or tremors, being in continuity with the diaphragm can be felt just below the rib cage.
This is not a danger and should not be a cause for alarm, but it is a response to stress.
I suggest lowering the stress level a little. try to maintain a balanced diet and always eat on time

Do you have any doubt?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.