Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed as having Balanitis last year with Candidia…

I was diagnosed as...

I was diagnosed as having Balanitis last year with Candidia being the most likely cause, I was prescribed Daktarin by my GP which cleared up the problems I was having. I was also told that as Balanitis is a common problem for men it could occur again and that if it did I should use emollient cream and that should clear up any problems. I believe another flare up of balanitis has occurred as the glans of my penis has a sore/burning sensation and the skin on it is peeling a lot, I tried using an emollient cream for a few days however that didnt seem to have any effect, I purchased some Emuaid because i was told that may help and that hasn't seemed to have any benefit either. I'm pretty certain it isn't caused by a fungal infection again as I haven't had intercourse for a while. It may be down to excessive masturbation but reduced the amount i was masturbating a lot and I haven't masturbated in a few days. I have very sensitive skin as it is, so sensitive that if scratched my skin will raise up in welts/hives and stay there for a while. However my skin isn't always this sensitive sometimes it wont be anywhere near as bad as that, but at the moment it is definitely on the more sensitive side, so I wonder if the balanitis has anything to do with that? What would you suggest I do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

The balanitis for perhaps 3 weeks now, my sensitive skin in general, maybe 4 years

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am taking medication for ADHD (Methylphenidate) don't know if that has had any effect, have been taking that for 5 maybe 6 weeks

3/16/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am glad you have avoiding the excessive masturbation

I would make sure to wash and shower and use soap to wash the area at least once a day

some people have very sensitive and reactive skin.

if you have redness and inflammation or itching in the skin in the area ,I would use over the counver 1% hydrocortisone cream just once a day on the area which can help decrease inflammation from sensitive skin.

it can be normal to have some redness of the head of the penis.

not all redness of the head of the penis is balanitits.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it more likely that because I have had a balanitis before that it is more likely to come back again? I have found that since having it around a year ago that since it cleared up my penis has been more sensitive to certain things than it was before? I will get some hydrocortisone cream tomorrow and see if that helps.Isn't soap meant to be avoided on the head of the penis regardless of whether I have balanitis or not? I thought it got rid of all the natural oils that are good? I only ever wash my penis with water, though am pretty thorough when I wash down there.The head of my penis isn't too red really, its more the pain I am getting and the excessive peeling of skin

if you got balanitis before with excessive masturbation, if you cut that down, you may not get balanitis as much.

you need soap to kill off bacteria on your penis.

you need to wash your penis with mild soap and water daily

your body makes oils naturally over time. you need to use a mild soap like Dove soap on your penis.

that peeling skin is most likely old skin which needs to be washed out with soap

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I had it before it was due to a yeast infection.
Ok I will wash it with a mild soap and hopefully that and the hydrocortisone cream will help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also should I not masturbate at all until it clears up down there?

yes, avoid masturbation until it clears up and looks better on the head of the penis.

I would not use the hydrocortisone cream for more than 5 days

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help

you are welcome

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician