Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just posted a medical question and I got email how do I…

Customer Question
I just posted a...

I just posted a medical question and I got email how do I log I. To see answer

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

First I’m a RN . I have ileistomy and I am trying to get over stomach bug or food poisioning. Have taken two doses of lomotil. Taking fluids and soft diet. Whole abdomen is tender and not getting output to slow down!

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Take vitamins ibuprofen prn not on any meds

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Ulcerative cholititis

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/16/2018
Doctor: Doctor Jennifer, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer, and I'm a surgery fellow. Have you been tracking the volume of output?

No

OK. Do you know how many times you've had to empty the bag today?

Are you having other symptoms--dizziness, headache? Also, how much have you been urinating?

Keeping up in fluids . Water juice and voiding a lot so I think it’s ok. Thought about going in for I V Fluids but I’ve been voiding a lot after drinking so I think fluids are ok. Not dizzy or faint. Abdomen sore!

I'm glad you're keeping up your hydration! I assume you've had a total colectomy for your UC? Did you have a proctectomy as well or do you have residual colon?

Total colectomy 20 years ago no rectum
No headache
Have hydrocodone I could take for pain and maybe that would help slow things down also
Do not want to call text is ok
Are you there??

OK. I wanted to rule out the possibility of c. diff before I suggested increasing your anti-diarrheals! You can add loperamide 4mgas well, starting BID, and adding a PPI can also reduce output some.

I'm sure you know, but if you stop being able to keep up with your hydration, you need to go in to the hospital! Also if you develop fever or the pain gets worse instead of better.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

I'm so sorry for the delay, I am having to fight the computer interface. And don't worry about the call, it's the system prompting you automatically.

Ok I’ll try PPI and I took half a hydocodone. On call inPACU tomorrow morning already have the cases to do! Can I take ibuprofen

Yes, I don't think there's any reason why you can't take ibuprofen, as long as your hydrated and you take with food. If you're in the PACU you can get someone to give you a liter if you need!

I would also advise keeping track of the volume of the output. If it's consistently more than 2L per 24h period, you might need to escalate your lomotil/loperamide regimen and I would consult with your surgeon or GI doc about it as well.

I hope it dries up on its own!

I hope it dries up on its own!