Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

This is an infectious disease question. What happens when…

Customer Question
This is an infectious disease...
This is an infectious disease question. What happens when during an EMG the contaminated needle with HSV virus is inserted twice in the right waist area close to the groin. I am having recurring burning, itching, needle sensations all over the general area including the inner thighs.
Thank you.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
3/16/2018
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Nothing should happen if no rash or bumps/ ulcers there. The more likely explanation here would be irritation of nerve supplying your inner thigh ,caused by the EMG needle. So your symptoms could be a result of that. No intervention is generally needed as it resolves on its own.

You can apply topical capsaicin if its too bothersome.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Thanks.Will add that the EMG test was supposedly done. Then the doc asked if she could test one more area which happened to be the waist right side. There was no muscle as the other areason my right leg. She had to pinch my skin to insert the needle. The signal was just white noise so she did it again and still there was white noise. I learn that there are no major nerves there as she claimed.

Yes but its the only logical explanation if you think your symptoms started after the EMG . HSV remains asymptomatic in absence of any skin lesions so that cant be a cause here. Its either completely unrelated to the EMG or a result of nerve irritated during the procedure.

The skin in the back inner thighs close to the anus area has been burning and itchy. Also, I have had at least two acne/sores at the right thigh location of the needle.

So it seems more related to the procedure then . Burning or itching around anus could be a result of other causes like anal tags , pinworms , perianal fistulas/ holes etc ,so its difficult to be absolutely sure without having examined that area. Better to get yourself examined by your doctor for that .

Not sure my specific symptoms were addressed. These symptoms all started right after the test.

As i mentioned if these symptoms started after the test then the most likely cause is an irritated nerve and not HSV

can an irritated nerve cause a sore?
The only major nerve is in the basal ganglion in the back as I have been told.

No but the local trauma caused by needle inserted twice sure can lead to inflammation at site of insertion

Sorry for the long delay. I think you misunderstand my question. I don’t have inflammation. I have recurrent sores at one site and burning, itching, needle sensations around the waist, thighs, groin areas. This is not due to nerves.

Alright . Sorry for that. As i understand its around your anal area . This could be due to hair root infection which can cause recurrent sores. This is called folliculitis . It can cause pain and irritation too. A photo of these sores can be useful to understand better though