Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I I was taking Mucinex D, Versailles (sp?), liquid cough…

I I was taking...

I I was taking Mucinex D, Versailles (sp?), liquid cough suppressant with codeine, methylprednisolone, and a antibiotic. A urine test came back positive for meth? The testing was unaware of my prescriptions I was taking. I sent pics of scrips and date. What occurs now?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Urine specimen on the 14th of Feb. Notified on March 2, and sent pics March 3rd

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Take Xanax annually with a prescription and other than Vick’s cold/flu night time syrup I was using I can’t think of anything else.

3/16/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Just to be sure, you mentioned above that you were taking Mucinex D. If you have the packaging, please confirm this is the over the counter medication with guaifenisin and pseudoephedrine, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is correct. 600 mg oh gf and 60 mg of pseudoephedrine.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m at a place that isn’t conducive to talking, I apologize. It’s my birthday and well everyone is here.

I see, thank you for that information. Pseudoephedrine is a well known cause of yielding false-positive results for methamphetamine. Most likely you'll need to take a confirmation test of some kind, usually another specimen that tests using a technique called gas chromatography/mass spectometry. (GC/MS)

Can I answer any other questions for you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The test was on Feb 14th, I didn’t receive a call to contact until March 2nd. When I called I was told I could request another test with sample 2 from the Feb 14 test. I paid for that and presumably will hear in 10 days or so. Was NEVER asked about my prescriptions and had to find out where to send pics. Is that normal?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for the bother, it’s just like fighting City Hall.

Please don't apologize, it's no bother at all. Unfortunately, yes, often times drug testing agencies are as bad if not worse than City Hall, lol. These days, when it comes to any type of healthcare, I advise all my patients and clients on how important it is to become well informed for yourself and to advocate for yourself as much as possible. You would think the so-called professionals would look out for you, but sadly this is often not the case. You did absolutely the right thing in digging deeper to find about your medications and their potential affects on the drug test results. So to answer your question, yes, what you've experienced is "normal" but that doesn't make it right! Anything else I can help with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
FYI, I received a return e-mail telling me the pics were sent to the wrong place. The only address I had was the billing address to pay for second test. I don’t believe my e-mail was forwarded to appropriate Department.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don’t I have a legitimate beef if this all goes badly?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time and I hope you have a great weekend.Stanfield

I understand. I would call the lab and billing department and demand that they inform you of who to contact and forward the proof of your medications being taken at the time of the urine test. You absolutely have a case to appeal and exonerate yourself of any wrongdoing. I would also document as much as possible and keep everything in a folder should you need it later, i.e. names, dates, responses etc.

I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD