Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My friend is 71 y/o male. He noticed today that both feet…

My friend is 71 y/o...
My friend is 71 y/o male. He noticed today that both feet are badly swollen without any injury. What can this mean?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now.

is there any redness? Any medical problem related to heart, liver, or kidney? Any joint swelling or difficulty in walking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr. Shaw,
no redness, no known problems, no joint swelling or difficulty walking.

Thank you for the information.

He doesn't seem to have any other associates symptoms at this time. In a way it is very difficult to pin point the cause of bilateral swelling just on the basis of symptoms. Considering his bilateral ankle swelling proper investigation is needed to pin point the cause, as in many cases bilateral swelling is associated with cardiovascular problems, liver or kidney disease. Sometimes, prolonged standing may cause bilateral swellings. I would encourage him to visit his doctor to get blood test, blood biochemistry along with physical exam. This will rule out if any systematic problem exist. In the mean time, you can follow conservative measures at home like taking breaks between the works, elevating legs, using pillow support for legs. At his age arthritis can cause swelling in that area, but he does not have any pain, redness or joint pain. At this point, the wise decision would be to rule out systemic cause of bilateral swelling.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor