Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What can i do with bloating, weight gain and rumbling if my…

Customer Question
what can i do with...
what can i do with bloating, weight gain and rumbling if my stomach due to j-pouch
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/16/2018
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago
Connie Pennington

Hello, my name is***** am a colorectal surgeon, and quite familiar with J-pouches. I just signed on, sorry for the delay you have experienced waiting for an expert. Can you tell me why you have a J-pouch. How long have you had the pouch?

i had ulcertivie colitiis than became toxic. first surgery was a colostomy bag tne 2 surgery was the j-pouch
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

When was your surgery?

How long have you had the J pouch?

6 years ago
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

Have you ever had pouchitis?

what is that?
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

J pouches can have problems.

They need to be scoped at least every 2 years, to be sure they are ok, and no disease remains in the rectal cuff.

Pouchitis is common and causes abdominal pain, bloating, and sometimes blood in the stool.

Pouchitis can be successfully treated with antibiotics like Cipro or Flagyl.

I like to use probiotics as well, like VSL#3

Do you have access to a colorectal surgeon?

i am allergic to Cipro. what is like VSL#3. is colonoscopy different from scooping and checking? what is the procedure so i can do it.
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

You could be treated with Flagyl.

VSL# ***** is a probiotic powder that is mixed in water and taken 1-2 times a day. It is easy to take.

With a J pouch, we use an endoscope (like for the stomach and esophagus). It is much smaller. We can check for stricture, pouchitis, take biopsies, etc.

It is called pouchoscopy.

i did that 3 years go am i due?
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, it is recommended to have this done every 2 years.

Plus it would help to see someone about your bloating. The probiotic I mentioned really helps with bloating.

the pro-biotic is over the counter?
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

It can be found on line, but be sure it is from a reputable source and comes refrigerated (on ice) and is not expired. It is cheaper as a prescription through insurance.

When looking, look for VSL#3 900 billion or 450 billion. They are the best.

can you recommend a reputable source
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

Amazon is fine, just make sure the seller mentions that it will be shipped packed in ice. The prescription through a pharmacy costs around 60-70 dollars for a one month supply.

If this answers your questions, please give it a 5 star, as we work for stars! The thread will remain open if you think of anything else. Good luck!