Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am supposed to get a Lexiscan next. exactly how does this…

Customer Question
I am supposed to...

I am supposed to get a Lexiscan next . exactly how does this work and are there any dangers

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes and I'm taking HCTZ, levothyroxin, fluoxetine enalapril, nifedipine, prilosec, advair and montelukast sod and 81 mil aspirin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of at this time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/16/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Lexiscan is the commercial name of one of the Radionuclide myocardial perfusion imaging test;

It basically helps in evaluation of cardiac perfusion (blood supply to heart muscles itself) and also the function (if the cardiac muscles are working normally or getting weak or fatigued) at rest and during drug induced (Regadenoson) stress for the diagnosis and further management of patients with probable or definite ischemic/coronary heart disease.

Lexiscan (scan which is done using the drug Regadenoson) is generally a very safe test. Actually what makes a particular test safe or unsafe depends upon;

1. Appropriate indication

2. Appropriate selection of patient

3. Considering the contra-indications before proceeding with the test

Most of the vasodilator drug based tests (like Lexiscan) are contra-indicated only if one has hypotension, heart block (a kind of cardiac arrhythmia) and Asthma. Otherwise, this is generally a safe test.

This test doesn't need you to be anesthetized or sedated.

They will simply inject the drug (regadenoson) through IV cannula, followed by injection of radioactive tracer, and after some time when both these (drug and tracer) are distributed in the body and heart, a camera will take pictures of your heart --- in total this may take 30 minutes or a little more.

Usually when they call you for the test, they do give you some instruction like to avoid any OTC medications, or to stop any caffeinated drinks and avoid any lotions/creams on body etc.

I hope this clarifies and answers your query.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor