Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had Grave's Disease back in 2005 and had radioactive

Customer Question
I had Grave's Disease...

I had Grave's Disease back in 2005 and had radioactive iodine treatment. I've been taking Synthroid and the dose has been stable. My most recent TSH test was 0.10 so my doctor reduced the Synthroid dosage. Is it typical for the thyroid to start producing hormone on its own after the iodine treatment and so many years? Or could something else lower the TSH? I have follicular lymphoma and have just finished chemo. This has affected my immune system, and my IGs are all pretty low.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent weight loss/gain? Are you excessively thirsty?

Yes, I've gained 10-12 pounds recently without any change in diet or activity. I seem to have a dry mouth and am always salivating to try and keep things wet.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Because of the immune system being depressed, I've had several infections recently (most recent was an oral thrush). Last year I had a sinus infection that developed into a pleural effusion in my right lung. I was in the hospital for nine days having that drained. Then I had sinus surgery, but I still have the congestion.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

It's been a good two years with the sinus problems. I only had trouble breathing when I had the effusion. I've had two infusions of IVIG, but the IgG level hasn't come up much. It's around 400.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/16/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

it is rare for your thyroid to start making more thyroid hormone now

perhaps your stomach is less inflamed now and better able to absorb thyroid hormone now

your stomach absorb thyroid hormone best when you take it alone on an empty stomach with no other medications or food for 30 minutes before or afterwards.

cutting out carbohydrates, white flour, pasta, gluten, bread, sugar, sodas, milk and alcohol and eating more fruits and vegetables could help you loose some weight over time along with some exercise.