Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What happens to an untreated anal fistula? Yest, diagnosed…

What happens to an...

What happens to an untreated anal fistula?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yest, diagnosed in 2014, it sort of self-discharged over night after recommend warm tub soaks - now it bothering me again with a occasional discomfort

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I sometimes bleed with a hard stool, started using metamucil to assure softer stools, now maybe just a little bleed but that's quite infrequent, only once in last 2 weeks

3/16/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Is there any other symptom besides occasional bleeding?

I feel the seldom bleeding probably comes from an internal hemorrhoid; I saw a surgeon a couple of weeks ago, he examined me and said the only way to deal with it is surgery; I'm very concerned about possible long term loss of bowl control by the procedure.
no, i don't feel speaking directly on the phone is necessary.

It is not necessary to call.
It is an automated response.
Some customers want it.
It is website generated.
Please wait, I am writing your answer.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
Fistula can be healed by itself.
There can be infection, abscess formation in untreated fistula.
Bleeding and pain can be from hemorrhoid.
Keeping stool soft can help.
Sitz bath can be soothing.
OTC antihemorroid cream Preparation-H can help.
There are a few options to treat hemorrhoid.
In smaller cases, rubber band ligation, sclerotherapy, laser coagulation can be done.
In large hemorrhoid, surgical resection or hemorrhoidectomy can be taken.
If you can control your symptoms with supportive therapy, you can wait.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)