Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I got a rash in september and then again now and my doctors…

Customer Question
Hi. I got a...

Hi. I got a rash in september and then again now and my doctors cant figure out what it is

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Its just the rash. Its itchy. In september it was on my back shoulders-chest arms, butt. This time it is on my back, butt legs All of the patches look different so it doesnt make sense. Ive been blood tested and swabbed for a bunch of things Some of the rash looks like exema. Some of the rash looks like insect bites or poisen ivy

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Nothing seems to help. No cream, steroid or antihistamine seems to help at all. Last time i had to wait for it to go away. The bug bite bumps look like 3 little bumps in a row randomly scattered. And then i have one red patch which looks like exema. No swelling

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was diagnosed with herpes type 2 genital a year and a half ago. But this rash tested negative for herpes. But i wonder if this has something to do with it? Ive been blood tested for tons of other things including gluten and autoimmune disorders and they all come back fine :( my husband does treework but ive lived with him 6 years never had this problem til recently.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/16/2018
Doctor: Dr. Huynh, Board Certified Physician replied 1 month ago
Dr. Huynh
Dr. Huynh, Board Certified Physician

Hi, I'm Dr. Huynh, a board certified physician. I'd be happy to help today. Please allow me a moment to review your question and I'll reply shortly.

Can you upload photos of the rash? What prescription medications have you tried? Do you have the lab results of when they tested this rash?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi i tried to upload the pictures. It says they were there but i dont think u recieved them.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They tested the rash for hsv last time and it was negative. They just sent it out again
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried benadryl. A steroid pill from the dermatologist. I also tried the valtrex. It didnt respond to anything. It went away on its own last time

How often do you get flares of this and how long before it goes away on its own?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THIs is the 2nd time. The first time was in september. And it took about 2weeks -1 month to go away completly
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This time its been a week so far

Do you happen to have a photo of the September rash? Or, can you describe it - was it similar, different, how?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was the same. Each spot looked different. My primary dr said all bloodwork is fine he thinks strange things stress rash. My dermatologist said theres no such thing as stress rash

How did the spot look different?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As i explained one patch photo above looks like excema. And the other patches photo above looks like little bunps ot poisen ivy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They all come at one time.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are randomly scattered on my back butt and legs. Last time it was on my back butt and arm

Steroid pills over the course of 2 weeks could be helpful if it was a condition that responds to that intensity of medication. You could try having your doctor prescribe a steroid cream to give you local treatment for the area. Another thought is whether you might be allergic to something in your fabrics, detergent, or diet - a patch allergy test by an Allergy Doctor could be helpful. It doesn't look like herpes or shingles. There are some viruses that cause rashes but usually that involves more of the body. They don't look like bedbugs or scabies either. You might want to have a different dermatologist see you for a different opinion than the other one you went to.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Dr. Huynh
Dr. Huynh
Dr. Huynh, Board Certified Physician