Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have only one question. Does Triple Negative Breast Cancer…

I have only one...

I have only one question. Does Triple Negative Breast Cancer always have to be treated with chemotherapy?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes, but I am keeping it to get familiar with my sister's diagnosis, which is Triple Negative Breast Cancer

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I know of, she has had bladder cancer, but that was removed completely with day surgery. Thank you. Just so you know, all the research she has done says that anyone with this cancer has to have chemotherapy. It was detected early and is small, 1 centimeter.

3/16/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your sister. Actually, the simple answer to your question is that YES triple-negative breast cancer may need to be treated with chemotherapy in SOME cases. This means that chemotherapy would be required if the margins of the removed tumor were not completely clear or if the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes. In most other cases where the tumor was small and not spread and the margins were clear then chemotherapy may be omitted. Secondly, the type of cancer also plays a role, for example, ductal carcinoma in situ would need radiation therapy to prevent recurrence, whereas lobular carcinoma would need chemotherapy. Usually when the carcinoma is invasive then we may need to start chemotherapy.

However, each case is individualized meaning that your sister's case would be studied extensively before a decision of chemotherapy is taken. But to answer your question, NO not ALL triple-negative breast cancers need chemotherapy, some can be managed with surgery alone.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

No more questions. If my sister is telling me the truth, her surgeon told her that there was absolutely no doubt that it had to be treated with chemotherapy. This doctor is known to be the top rated breast cancer in the city, so now I don't think my sister told me the whole truth. Maybe it is because she read that most cases have chemo, but I needed to know the whole truth. Thank you SO much. She had surgery and now I am getting some hope that there will be no chemo. We are prepared if that is the case, but when surgery revealed that there appeared to be no spreading in the lymph nodes (of course, they have to be tested), I was starting to hope. Thank you so much.

You're welcome, I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today, do remember to rate me by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
No need for a call, but thank you. If I got too specific. I was just thinking that the percentage might lower (not looking for specific numbers) because there are a few positive things. This is my sister and I an not sharing the answer, she does not want to know and I respect that. I am asking for me so I get a vague idea of the possibilities. She thinks the rate is much higher, I think. I will keep my mouth shut. Nothing about her treatment is my decision, just doing some research for myself. She is single with no children. I will be highly involved. That’s all.

Yes there are positive things in that there are no lymph nodes however if her doctor has advised chemotherapy then there has to be a reason behind it. Secondly, the recurrence rate also varies according to the TYPE of breast cancer, yes it is triple negative which means that it is negative for certain hormonal receptors however the gross type has to be defined as well. Some types dont recur as often while others do. Third, YES the fact that she does not have spread of the disease would make the chances of recurrence lower when compared to patients who have had the disease spread to the lymph nodes.