Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a few concerns about my legs and arms. Symptoms get…

I have a few...

I have a few concerns about my legs and arms

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Symptoms get better sometimes when I'm covered in a blanket . My right leg Is slightly swollen

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I know of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your swollen leg. Can you tell me about your concerns in a little more detail? Do you have numbness, tingling or burning in the limbs? Any pain? What is your age and gender?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HelloI have tingling in ankles / feet . Arms and hands sometimes. My feet and hands are always alot colder than the rest of my body. I'm a 23 year old male

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins with a written answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My leg hurt slightly a few days ago. But not anymore

Actually there are a few conditions which can cause these sort of symptoms, the commonest cause for this to occur is peripheral neuropathy which is damage to the nerves of the limbs caused by a variety of disorder including diabetes, thyroid disorders, nutritional deficiencies including vitamin b12, zinc etc along with autoimmune disorders as well as infections or toxins among numerous others. This would cause the tingling and even numbness and the temperature changes as well. The diagnosis is made quite easily with the help of a simple NCV/EMG test which checks the nerves directly. Once diagnosed the treatment is with medications like Lyrica or Neurontin along with treating the underlying cause. For example, if vitamin B12 deficiency is the cause then replacement would rectify the problem.

The other possibility is a peripheral arterial disease which can occur because of inflammation of the vessels due to an autoimmune cause in young people. This would need a doppler ultrasound to be diagnosed. However given your age, this would be a less likely cause in your situation.

The most likely cause in young adults of intermittent tingling in the limbs is because of electrolyte imbalances such as potassium, magnesium, calcium deficiencies or even dehydration. This would explain the pain as well as the other symptoms. Usually simply drinking electrolyte rich fluids like Gatorade would be helpful along with OTC supplements. lastly, anxiety or stress can also cause these symptoms commonly.

I would suggest that you try using the OTC supplements including vitamin B12 and see if that helps, if not then get evaluated by your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much. That helps a lot . Does it not sound like DVT. At all? I have read alot of symptoms similar to mine that are DVT .

No, not really because the swelling would worsen over time, it would cause pain and the temperature would RISE in the affected limb instead of you feeling cold. Additionally, it is unlikely for you to develop DVT without having any risk factors such as recent orthopedic surgery, immobilization etc.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Well I do have an office job where I sit all day. No it has not gotten bigger . But is still the same size as it was 3 days ago . Has a small bruise looking mark on right leg.

Do you have a picture that you can attach here?

Of both the legs side by side.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her is one . It is my right leg that I feel is at risk?? I'm not sure though
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's hard to see in the picture . But here is a pic of my calves. The right one i believe is the one at risk?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another picture
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
U can kind of see the bruise like mark towards the bottom of my right leg

The right leg is MILDLY swollen but the swelling is not in the pattern of DVT. If this swelling was due to DVT then the clot should be present in the thigh region or around the knee, which would result is uniform swelling in the whole of the leg rather than just under the knee. The swelling should have extended down into the ankle and the foot as well. So the swelling is likely to be due to a local cause such as mild inflammation in the muscles or swelling due to minor trauma which you may not have noticed. If the swelling worsens then yes you should get it evaluated but at the moment I don't think this is DVT.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor