Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having pain in my buttock for a time. I have even

HI, I am having pain...
HI, I am having pain in my buttock for a long time. I have even mentioned this problem to my doctor while getting routinely checked but they don't seem to care. Also when sitting on a plane for long time my knee joints hurt, otherwise it is fine. May I know what the reason could be and if I should see a doctor.
3/16/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you? Male/ Female?
Since when are you having the symptom?
How frequently do you feel the pain in buttock?
When did you see doctor for this problem?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you take any medicine?

I am Female 40 yr old. I am having this problem for the past two year. I have the pain everyday. I saw a doctor a month back for this problem. No I don't have any other symptom. What kind of illness?

Please wait.
I am writing the answer.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
Buttock pain can be from a few causes.
It can be due to arthritis of the joints of the spine or sacroiliac joint of that side, slipped disc, osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis is unlikely at your age.
It can also be due to ischiogluteal bursitis.
It can be due to pinching of nerve too.
This can be affected by posture.
Stone or infection in the kidney can have pain in the lower back or upper buttock but as you do not have any such symptom, it is likely to be musculoskeletal in nature.
Pain in knees after long period of sitting does not indicate a serious issue.
There can be muscle strain or spasm.
You can keep the leg moving after every couple of minutes.
Application of heat can be soothing in buttock pain..
Antiinflammatory drug like Advil or Motrin can be taken too if the pain is much.
If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by an orthopedic doctor.
He may take X ray/ scan, if he feels necessary after examination.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)