Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is the best way to treat hemorrhoids and the itching?

3/16/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you? Male/ Female?
Since when are you having the symptom?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you consult doctor or have any test?
Did you take any medicine?

Female 63. Have had this for 6 years. Just itching and some pain. No other illnesses. No medicine.
What is the best treatment? I have had my regular colonoscopy and check ups

How was the colonoscopy finding?

Had 1 polyp and it was normal

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
There are a few options to treat hemorrhoid.
In smaller cases, rubber band ligation, sclerotherapy, laser coagulation can be done.
Ligation is quite effective.
In most cases, it works better than sclerotherapy & coagulation.
Recurrence rate is higher with sclerotherapy & coagulation.
In large hemorrhoid, surgical resection or hemorrhoidectomy can be taken.
Stapled hemorrhoidectomy can cause less pain & earlier return to normal activity but hemorrhoidectomy is the most effective treatment.
But from your symptoms, I think your hemorrhoid is mild.
You can use Preparation H.
That is available OTC.
It would relive your discomfort.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)