Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was given azithromycin 500mg 1 tab a day for 3 days but i…

I was given azithromycin...

I was given azithromycin 500mg 1 tab a day for 3 days but i still have the throat pains is that normal?

Doctor's Assistant: When were you prescribed azithromycin? How severe were any side effects?

3 days ago.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

Not yet. Was checking if it's normal to still have pain al12 hours after completing the dose

3/16/2018
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What are your age and gender?

Are you taking any other medicines?

Pain during swallowing?

A stuffy nose, phlegm at the back of the throat?

Duration of symptoms?

Nausea, heartburn?

A cough?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

male/30
Decathylene and ibuprofen
Pain on the left side when swallowing
Studfy nose yes, phlegm at the back of the throat not so much
Symptoms since 5 or 6 days and have completed the azithromycine 3 days single tab 12 hours ago
No cough

Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, it indicates a viral infection.

As antibiotic( Azithromycin) doesn't help in viral infection and it treats only a bacterial origin infection.So, your pain would resolve within 5 days if it was a bacterial infection after taking Azithromycin.

I would advise you some self-care remedies which you can try.
Do nasal saline drops and Otrivin nasal drops.
You should do menthol steam inhalation and saline gargles.

Try Oral antiseptic rinse and Cepacol Sore Throat (benzocaine/menthol lozenges)
Use a warm mist humidifier in your room.
Take Allegra.

Maintain a good hydration with warm water, honey tea.
You should elevate your head with an extra pillow.
If your symptoms will not show any improvement then see your doctor or ENT specialist for a clinical exam.
"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Respected customer,
Do you have any other follow up question?
May I help you more?
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your reply.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor