Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How concerned should I be for getting vaginal cancer after…

Customer Question
How concerned should I...

How concerned should I be for getting vaginal cancer after hysterectomy for hpv

Doctor's Assistant: How old are you? What symptoms are you having?

48. I’m ok today but I had a gas attack on Friday with constipation Then I was able to go Wasn’t feeling well until today. Twinges in left side. No appetite

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

Last pap was April 2017. All normal for last 21/2 years after hysterectomy

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really just the hysterectomy in 2015 for hpv and cancer in uterine wall

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Are you there
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/16/2018
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience and I will help with your query,Since the hysterectomy has already been done and the PAP smear was normathe chances of malignancy are extremely remote.l,Vaginal malignancy is a rare entity,this occurs mostly due to secondaries from other sites.It is most likely that you were vaccinated for HPV earlier,this has an almost 100% safety record as far as HPV malignancies go.Since the uterus has been removed ,I feel you need to get regular PAP smears and vaginal vault check up by your Gynaecologist,the risk of vaginal malignancy is negligible ,do not let your anxiety and stress worry you unduly.

Thankyou. The hysterectomy was due to hpv. I never had vaccinations for it as I was too old. I was told that I need Pap smears due to the risk of vaginal cancer because it’s higher with people that had hysterectomy due to hpv. Now that I had constipation and loss of appetite I am concerned.
Is anyone there

Regular check ups would be the best prevention,constipation need to be checked by regular exercise,hydration and increase in fibre intake,The menopausal symptoms will also cause anxiety which needs to be treated by your PCP/Doctor.

I understand that but I’m very concerned. Isn’t it likely it could happen after hpv hysterectomy. Now I hv a few symptoms

Constipation and lack of appetite are not specific symptoms of malignancy and are more of problems of aging/getting older .Perhaps a more active and healthy lifestyle will correct these symptoms,

Well there is the bloating twinge in left side and I’m not sure but sometimes I feel when I urinate the tissue might hv a slight tingle of blood. It’s hard to tell for sure. As yes I’m a bit neurotic
I have to look very very close at tissue to see

That issue can be settled by a simple urine test.I suggest you discuss the anxiety and stress with your PCP/doctor.

ultimately you’re telling me my fears are unfounded and you don’t believe I have any reason for concern of vaginal cancer

I am sorry if my answers led you to believe that I am rude,but it is your anxiety which is suggesting that you may have malignancy of the vagina,There are actually no symptoms or signs suggestive of this,I apologise if I have upset you.

No you didn’t upset me. I’m happy to hear I am just stressed unnecessarily. I was just trying to be clear. When I google it appeared that I did have some symptoms so I guess I was unsure what the symptoms were. Thanks

Please do rate my answer as 5 stars(the stars are above and to the right of your answer box),Thank you.

Do you need any more information before rating my answers?