Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had more questions after receiving some of the answers. I…

I had more questions after...
I had more questions after receiving some of the answers. I was taking protonix and have very swollen legs and feet and joint and muscle pain. I thought maybe it was from the protonix so switched to Pepcid which I see has the same side effects. Also can this be taken indefinitely?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had very bad heartburn which is in the area of my hiatal hernia. I tried all the natural remedies to no avail. I am currently on Pepcid after taking Protonix. I have read bad reports of the acid reducing medication because they can cause bone loss, vitamin deficiency, lupus and swollen feet and ankles and joint and muscle pain. I am experiencing the joint and muscle pain as well as the edema. I don't know what else to do other than what I was doing which was taking about a half bottle of Mylanta a day. I have had an endoscopy, upper GI and abdominal CT scan which only showed significant GERD. However, I get full very quickly and feel like things are lodged in my chest, plus have esophagus spasms. The gastroenterologist says I can take the Pepcid indefinitely although things I have read say it shouldn't be used for more than 14 days. I am taking digestive enzymes and a probiotic and eating a semi paleo diet. I don't know what to do.

PPIs are very safe

the concerns are much overblown

I would go with protonix

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You only answered part of my question. However, I have another one. I have very think puckered skin on my arms which develop deep purple bruises with the faintest pressure. Is there anything I can do to thicken the skin? Also I have little red dots all over my legs along with swollen legs and feet. The only thing my Dr. says is to wear compression hose.

do you have a picture of what you are are talking about?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don't have any pictures

what is your age?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Almost 80. I have severe degenerative disc disease in back and neck, osteoarthritis in knees and shoulders and pain in arms and thighs, worse in the past 3 months. I am concerned about the skin, bruising on arms and swelling in legs and feet and red dots, as well as recurring heartburn even with the Pepcid.

pepcid isn't as effective as protonix

start that

as for the skin there is nothing you can do

I'm sorry

that is just age related

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I am having trouble accepting that my body is wearing out on me and I hate the signs of ageing. I can accept the pain but the physical effects on arms and legs are most disconcerting. Guess I just have to accept it.

I'm very sorry

but clearly you are doing very well for your age

Sounds like you are very healthy!

be happy for that!

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor