Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have hypothyroidism. I was taking levothyroxin for nine…

I have hypothyroidism....

I have hypothyroidism. I was taking levothyroxin for nine months. I noticed my alkaline phosphatase was going up, so I checked with a doctor, and stopped. My alkaline phosphatase is still high. The doctor wants me to take levy thyroxin again and said that this was not the reason my alk. phos. was high. I decided to look it up again, and I see that there are studies that say there is a correlation. I have osteopenia in my lower spine and left hip. ???!!! Not sure what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

It's a long list. Fatigue, slight nausea sometimes, cold sweats (recent), dry itchy skin, thin hair, pain in joints, sometimes weakness, can't lose weight, LDL cholesterol high (but HDL fine), short term memory loss, irritable,..........

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My father and uncle (father's brother) both had heart attacks. I think my mother's brother had some heart problems. No females had heart problems. My health is rotten. I feel awful all the time. I do have appointments with two heart doctors who specialize in women's health.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have hypoglycemia, gastric reflux, asthma, and arthritis. It sounds awful, but actually I am pretty healthy, eat great, etc. But recently everything is going downhill.

It is 45 minutes since I sent this question. I have still not received an answer.
3/16/2018
DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm sorry for the delayed response as I was busy in hospital,I am reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

First of all I would suggest that you should have a gamma-GT level done

This will help in finding whether the source of this elevated alkaline phosphatase is liver or bone

Depending upon the source then you might require further evaluation

Osteopenia and osteoporosis can occur with levothyroxine as well as hypothyroidism but in that case usually alkaline phosphatase is normal unless there is an osteoporotic fracture

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

1. In October 2016 I apparently had that gamma-GT test done because it says "alk. phos. 135 high (range 40-120); Bone high 62 (range 0-55); liver OK 73 (range 0-94)." I will ask someone to do it again.2. Before and after Oct. 2016 they apparently just gave me an alk. phos. total. Total was OK from 2006 to 2015. Then high several times in 2016 and 2017.3. I have had osteopenia for at least ten years, way before taking levothyroxine. The last few bone densities have been steady, last one (I think March 2016) even a little better for lumbar spine.4. Also, most of the times before labs I was taking vitamins, which apparently can skew results of some lab numbers, which I didn't know. Not sure if that's a problem with alk. phos. numbers.
No alkaline phosphatase should not be altered by the vitamins
I would suggest that you get a gamma GT first and if that's normal then think about possible bony origin
Please do let me know if you have any other questions
If done please don't forget to leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK RATING
Regards
a. Not sure what you mean by possible boney origin (?). Could you explain?b. I am hesitating to take the levothyroxin the doctor prescribed. Previously I was taking 25 MCG per day for nine months. Then I stopped all levothyroxine 12 months ago. Now docto prescribing 37.5 MCG a day. But she also suggested it might not be my thyroid. So I am hesitant to take it. Should I wait until I have that GT test?
I mean if the cause of increased alkaline phosphatase is your bones then the gamma GT should be normal but if the GGT is high this means it's originating from liver
I won't mind continuing with lecothyroxine currently till you get the test
Regards
OK, many thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate your time. By the way, are you an endocrinologist? Just wondering.
You are welcome
I am a Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist so deal a lot of such cases
Regards,
OK. Actually the endocrinologist suggested I see a rheumatologist, so that is next on my list, along with appointments I already have with cardiologists and another thyroid sonogram (which in the past have been fine, as well as a thyroid biopsy being fine). I appreciate your answers. I feel a little more positive than I did before.
My pleasure
Regards
DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor